Over the Big Horns to the Black Hills


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Beartooth Inn, CodyLeaving Beartooth Inn, CodyLeaving Beartooth Inn, Cody

Every departure meant getting into the "lineup" for the ride.
DAY THREE

Today we all woke up and what a pleasant surprise to see the sun and blue sky. We knew it was going to be an awesome day of riding to the Big Horn Mountains and then to Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

This morning we had a devotion about light and darkness...we do not have to do anything for the darkness to be there - it simply exists and it takes no energy or effort for it to be dark. But it does take energy and effort for there to be light and light pushes out the darkness. But it has to be an ongoing effort. The minute the light goes out, darkness encroaches. In our homes we can have light at the flip of a switch.

You can do nothing and have dark. The more energy the stronger the light. As Christians our lives are just like the electric lights. We can do nothing and we will be no different than anybody else. Or we can work hard at letting God shine in us and we can light up the world around us. So, we were all challenged to light up
Shell FallsShell FallsShell Falls

The roar and vibration never stops and can be felt and heard before getting to the falls.
our piece of the world. What a great message as left Cody, WY for the Big Horns.

First gas stop was Greybull, WY. While drinving into town we all spotted vintage aircraft on our left. In reality, it was the Museum of Flight and Aerial Firefighting. This vast dry plain in the mountains strains the meaning of the term "museum." It's really a slowly aging assemblage of retired aircraft appended to a working local airfield. In their literature the museum is promoted as "dedicated to educating people about the several types of aircraft and retardant systems that have evolved over the years."

I spotted a KC-97, the world’s largest air tanker...I actually did my training in the Air Force at Sheppherd AFB on those large aircraft in 1974. It was fun to see them again.

After Greybull it was on to the Big Horn mountains via Highway 14. But first a stop at Shell Falls was well worth the time.

It's located in Shell Canyon which was formed by the headward erosion of Shell Creek over millions of years. The creek has incised a deep chasm through the three billion year old granite you see around
Roger has conquered one flight of steps at Shell FallsRoger has conquered one flight of steps at Shell FallsRoger has conquered one flight of steps at Shell Falls

The caption says it all...we all took tons of photos which will make their way around the internet.
you. The water of Shell Falls, falling at the rate of some 3,600 gallons per second, follows the course of fractures in the resistant granite. This gray and pink granite is among some of the oldest rock on earth, while the softer Flathead sandstone which rests on top of it, some 550 million years old, contains some of the earliest fossils of hard shelled creatures you can find. Such ancient shells gave Shell Canyon, and Shell Falls, their names.

There is a quality of the sublime in Shell Falls. The thudding sensation of falling water can be felt through the soles of your feet, and the water's voice has a way of soothing the weary motocycle traveler.

One has lots of time to think of a motocycle ride...at this time I was thinking, "Why do clouds consistentlhy gather around mountain tops instead of just floating away?" I know it was a useless question, but in case some of you have a desire to know, well here is the answer.

"Mountains very often affect weather conditions. Clouds are formed when water molecules suspended in the air become so concentrated, that they form a vapor. This can happen due
Shell Falls looking downstreamShell Falls looking downstreamShell Falls looking downstream

I sure would not want to fall into this river...
to temperature changes, pressure changes, or an influx of moisture on the wind. Mountain peaks can be a boundary between air masses of different temperature, pressures, and wind directions. The boundary is where they mix, and where they mix is the most likely spot for these changes to cause cloud formation."

Now you know 😊

The Big Horns were entirely different than the Rockies...there were more colors, not as rugged and seemed more plesant to look at. Those are my interpretations. The Big Horns run for over 200 miles north to south. We even saw a moose and her calf. It was a long climb to the summit and only a few miles at the top before we started to descend to Sheridan. This was a view that took ones breath away. The great plains were laid out before us as far as the eye could see.

After getting gas and food in Sheriday, we put the bikes in high gear and headed for Spearfish Canyon and the Black Hills. We even had a long distance glimpse of Devils Tower.

The ride from Spearfish to Savoy in Spearfish Canyon may only be 15 miles long, but
God's BeautyGod's BeautyGod's Beauty

The Big Horns were a photographers paradise. The clouds, mountains and valleys were all captured in this photo that could make it's way onto a large format photo.
again, it was a different type of mountain scenery that made for some great highway cornering riding. And Spearfish Canyon Lodge was simply beautiful. I heard several from the group say they were coming back to this lodge again when they could stay longe.

Well, the day was long...almost 400 miles of driving so after unloading the bikes and putting them "down for the night" we had supper at the Latch String Inn. Check it out online at http://www.spfcanyon.com/dining.html

All in all a great third day on our trip. Tomorrow brings as end to our ride as we all make out way back to Bismarck with lots of great memories, awesome riding stories and getting to know 11 people a little better. Life is good.

Blessing to all who read this.

Rob















Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

No, it's not a machine gun!No, it's not a machine gun!
No, it's not a machine gun!

Forrest and Jeff get a close up view of the surrounding scenery.
Taylor Resting?Taylor Resting?
Taylor Resting?

Taylor had the best seat in the house and the most relaxing.
Coming down the Big Horns--seeing the Great PlainsComing down the Big Horns--seeing the Great Plains
Coming down the Big Horns--seeing the Great Plains

Navigating down a mountain range required lots of downshifting and some sharp hair pin turns...but I think he group was getting used to this...actually even enjoyed the turns and sharp corners. The Gret Plains look Great!
Germans flock to JeffGermans flock to Jeff
Germans flock to Jeff

We stopped for gas in Gillette, Wyoming and came across a bus tour of Germans...they were touring the area for two week. They all wanted to see a Harley Davidson and who was riding the HD...well, that was Jeff!


22nd June 2009

Good memories
These pics brought back good memories from several years ago when we went to Yellowstone by way of Montana and then home. Would love to drive through Spearfish canyon and eat a Latchstring Inn. That is such a beautiful area. Sounds like you enjoyed God's scenic highways and made it safely home. Miss you!!
23rd June 2009

May have seen you on your return
Mary and I traveled to Belle Fouche on Monday to accept delivery of my mother-in-law from Mary's sister who lives in Casper, Wy. for transport back to Bismarck. (seriously tho, I really do like my mother-in-law) Saw lots of bikes northbound while we were heading south from Belfield and one or two groups, noticed a motorcycle with training wheels so thought it might have been your group..
27th June 2009

Met you on 94
I talked to Roger Will last week at Perkins and he mentioned you had left on this trip on June 17. My wife and I met you guys as we were returning from our 25 day adventure on Route 66 and beyond. I think it was around Belfield or Richardton that we crossed paths.

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb