Bear Tooth Pass stretched us all...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Cody
June 18th 2009
Published: June 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Rob's 2005 BMW R1200RTRob's 2005 BMW R1200RTRob's 2005 BMW R1200RT

I am so happy with my R1220 RT. It is light and nimble and has performed better than expected in the mountain terrain. Well worth the investment.
Day Two

Now this is what I call touring...an action packed day with rain, scenery, high altitudes, great company, running into old friends, snow, drizzle and just down right fun.

We left Thursday, June 18 from Billings around 8:30 am after having a time of sharing and devotions for the day. What a great bunch of riders who all have the same passion for motorcycle riding.

The day started out overcast and on the way to Red Lodge we ran into rain showers, however, we made the decisiont before leaving to put on our rain gear. It was a wise decision and it kept us dry.

Met up with Jon and Taylor at Red Lodge. They had a great night camping our in a cabin...it kept them dry.

We spent about one hour in Red Lodge to do some looking around and also to allow some time for the clouds to disperse and hopefully dispense with the predicted rain and snow. However, that did not happen.

While waiting we ran into Pastor Mark and Kelly Neal along with their daughters Melanie and Molly. So great to see them. They were our children's pastor at Evangel.
Peggy Harms and her 4-wheelerPeggy Harms and her 4-wheelerPeggy Harms and her 4-wheeler

Peggy looks at home on her "quad" and she is definately dressed for the climb to Bear Tooth Pass.


The moment fianally arrived when we tightened our jackets, put on the gloves, and fired up the engines to begin the spectacular ride up the Bear Tooth highway.

Wikpedia says the Beartooth Highway is an All-American Road that has been called "the most beautiful drive in America," by late CBS correspondent Charles Kuralt. Due to heavy snowfall at the top, the pass is usually open each year only from

Memorial Day in late May through Labor Day in September. You can still see where the snowplows cut through huge drifts. Snowplows are stationed at various locations along the highway for suffen snowstorms. Temperatures dropped down to around 35 degrees and coupled with the rain made it tough at times to see through your helmet visor. Fog (or clouds) permeated the summit.

The Beartooth Highway is the section of U.S. Highway 212 between Red Lodge, Montana and Cooke City, Montana. It traces a series of steep zigzags and switchbacks, along the Montana-Wyoming border to the 10,974-foot high Beartooth Pass. The approximate elevation rise is from 5,200 to 8,000 feet in 12 miles in the most daring landscapes.

The highway officially opened June 14, 1936 but was
Two kids in a candy storeTwo kids in a candy storeTwo kids in a candy store

Jeff and Forrest went wild in the Montana Candy Emporium in Cody...they were snatching up candy left and right.
closed several years ago due to landslides.

Due to the high altitudes, snowstorms can occur even in the middle of the summer and the pass is also known for strong winds and severe thunderstorms all of which we experienced along with a little snow and sleet. It took us about 7 hours to go 100 miles...from Red Lodge to Cody, WY.

It was my third time over the pass and each time was totally different but always rewarding.

After coming of the pass we turned onto the Chief Joseph Highway which was another spectacular ride.

The more popular name, the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, is named after the Native American chief of the Nez Perce tribe.

Following the Battle of the Big Hole in Idaho in 1877, Chief Joseph fled east through Yellowstone. He and 1,000 members of his tribe ran from the US Calvary, who was trying to force the tribe onto a reservation so that white ranchers could have their lands. While crossing Yellowstone, the Nez Perce briefly captured several tourists before going north up the Clarks Fork River. The Nez Perce were trying to flee to Canada (an 1,800 mile trek), but
Chance meeting of old friendsChance meeting of old friendsChance meeting of old friends

What a surprise to meet Mark and Kelly Neal and Melanie and Molly while walking the streets of Red Lodge. It was a short visit. They sure do look great and the girls as so grown up. Blessings to the Neals>
surrendered after the six-day Battle of the Bear Paw in northeastern Montana. The tribe was stopped only 30 miles from their destination, the Canadian border.

In his speech of surrender, Chief Joseph expressed dignity and defeat with his famous words, 'Hear me, my chiefs, I am tired; my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.' The Nez Perce tribe was forced onto reservations in Oklahoma and Washington despite promises to allow them back on their lands. Yellowstone's Nez Perce Creek is named for this valiant attempt at freedom.

The Chief Joseph Scenic Byway offers unparalleled views of Wyoming as well as a unique history of the US. This famous road is also known for its fascinating geological features as well as its abundant wildlife around every hairpin turn.

It was one grand day that tapped our senses and filled us with more memories. We pulled into Cody and just like arriving in Billings the night before, the rain caught us unloading our bikes...not too bad but two days in a row just before getting to our hotel. I wonder what the weather holds for us tomorrow on
Jeff and Forrest Light HeadedJeff and Forrest Light HeadedJeff and Forrest Light Headed

We had to watch Jeff and Forrest due to altitude sickness...just kidding you guys. They were having fun the natural way. I guess you could say they were high on life.
our trek through the Big Horns and Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills?

A little bit about our group. They are a fun bunch to travel with and it has been great to get to know them in a more personal note...that's what trips like this are for.

Take Jim and Peggy Harms. Peggy told me she has had a lifelong dream to ride a motorcyle...now this was a dream she had since childhood and finally at age 60 decided it was now or never. She and Jim each got a motorcyle and four years later and several thousand miles, tackled the Bear Tooth Pass. Every time we stopped and I looked at Peggy's face, she was beaming, even though it was cold, rainy, etc. We are proud of you guys. Jim conquered the pass as well...don't think he looked down much and maybe it was a good thing clouds obscured the valley below.

It was fun to watch Jon and Taylor. When a father can walk down the street and his daughter does not mind holding his arm or givng him a hug, well that is a great tribute to dad, especially with Fathers Day coming
Bear Tooth Pass at 9,000 FeetBear Tooth Pass at 9,000 FeetBear Tooth Pass at 9,000 Feet

One of the many majestic views from a pull-over advantage point at 9,000 feet. This proved to be the best place to take photos today because as we climbed higher, the clouds became thicker and pretty soon we were running in complete white-out.
up soon. I'm sure Taylor will tell her sisters the great time they had...next year Jon you could have a problem with all your daughters wanting to join you for our ride to Duluth!

We had a relxing supper at a place called Wyoming Rib and Chop House and most us had babyback ribs...it had some great ratings and I can see why...we left very FULL! Got some gas and we are ready for another day on the road.

Everyone is doing great and before we know it, the ride will be over and it will be a very strong memory. There are lots of pictures being taken for posterity.

Take care everyone.

Rob


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Bear Toothe Pass at 9,000 FeetBear Toothe Pass at 9,000 Feet
Bear Toothe Pass at 9,000 Feet

One does not fathom the beauty of what God created until you leave home and travel to a new location. It almost take the breath away...or was that because we were starved for oxygen!
We just came up that road way down there!We just came up that road way down there!
We just came up that road way down there!

Looking down while off the motorcycle proved the best way to see where we came from. There is a saying that "where you turn your head, your bike will go." Well needless to say, most everyone stared straight ahead and did not look over the edge. Unless you were rinding in the backseat and could look all you wanted. Right Edie, Sharon and Taylor?
Grip and GrinGrip and Grin
Grip and Grin

Of course not travel blog from Rob would not be completed without a pose...okay guys, you can endure a few mug shots from me.
Cold at the topCold at the top
Cold at the top

See the clouds...that's where we were headed!
Another Magnificient ViewAnother Magnificient View
Another Magnificient View

Enjoy the scenery.
Almost to the TopAlmost to the Top
Almost to the Top

Group picture of the entire gang. Notice how toasty warm we looked.
The gang before ascending to the topThe gang before ascending to the top
The gang before ascending to the top

Getting ready to mount up and conquer Bear Tooth pass as we push to the top...but one more photo op.
Father and DaughterFather and Daughter
Father and Daughter

I'm sure the Patch family will see this photo enlarged and placed in a frame suitable for showing. These two were having so much fun. Jon and Taylor, thanks for taking the video of our group.
Clark's Fork GorgeClark's Fork Gorge
Clark's Fork Gorge

This was on the Chief Joseph Highway. It was a beautiful spot to take photos and admire the scenery. Hearing the roar of the water below reiminds us of the force that carved this gorge.
Clark's Fork GorgeClark's Fork Gorge
Clark's Fork Gorge

The granite walls were so granite! What more can I say. Jon says they were made out or "something or other" but I said granite...he said that's what we novices refer to it as...cambria or pre-cambria. Oh well, Jon can post a comment and let me know what kind of rock it is. Anyway, it was hard. :)
Other activities prohibitedOther activities prohibited
Other activities prohibited

Not sure what the sign meant about "other activites prohibited" but Bruce and Sharon don't seem to mind stealing a kiss that was caught on camera.


19th June 2009

Gas???
Rob you shouldn't talk about gas right after you talk about food - it gets a little confusing - HA HA HA It's sounds you all are having a wonderful ride - be safe!

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb