Block Island, Rhode Island


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Rhode Island » Block Island
September 6th 2013
Published: September 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sally and I decided yesterday that it was time for us to head out to block island for the day. We planned to go over to the island last summer but cancelled because of the weather. It's been on our bucket list for this summer but after much procrastination we decided yesterday it was time to go. Anyway, block island is located about 12 miles off the southern coast of Rhode Island. There are numerous ferry's that go over to the island, both from Connecticut and Rhode Island. Since the season is over, the ferry only leaves from New London on the weekend so we decided to drive over to Point Judith Rhode Island to catch the ferry from there. We arrived at the pier in point Judith at about 9:30 yesterday morning and purchased our tickets for the 10:30 am fast ferry to block island. There is also a slow ferry that leaves from Point Judith and that takes about 55 minutes where the fast ferry makes the crossing in about 30 minutes. Anyway, we arrived in Old Town, Block Island at about 11:00 am. There are several places where you can rent bikes, mopeds, as well as cars while on the island. You can also bring your own car over to the island on the slow ferry which we would most likely do when we go again. We talked about a moped but decided to rent a smart car which is just big enough for 2 people. Headed off from Old Town to see the sights on the island. There are two light houses on block island, Southeast lighthouse, said to be haunted, and North Lighthouse. There are numerous very nice beaches on the island with the longest stretch of beach on the eastern side of the island. Sally loves to walk along the beach where she spends time searching for sea shells along the way. The largest town on Block Island is Old Town which has several large hotels and numerous shops along the waterfront. Spent almost three hours sightseeing on the island and only put about 15 miles on the car. We had a great lunch of mussels in white wine sauce along with scallops cooked in lobster sauce. We're going to miss all of this when we head back to Phoenix in October!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Southeast LighthouseSoutheast Lighthouse
Southeast Lighthouse

Said to be haunted, what do you think?
Stone walls on Block IslandStone walls on Block Island
Stone walls on Block Island

Stone walls are all over New England. Some have been around for several hundred years.


6th September 2013

We love Block Island!
So glad you guys got to go. It's really nice there. J&J
10th September 2013
North Lighthouse

Photos
The picture of the North Lighthouse almost looks surreal like a painting!

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb