Salem, Massachusetts


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Salem
August 29th 2013
Published: August 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

On Saturday the 24th of August, Sally and I took a day trip with friends to the town of Salem Massachusetts. Sally kept saying that we were going to find us a witch. Salem was a town we had read about but with it being so near it sounded like it would be an interesting day trip. One of the first sights that we saw in Salem was the House of the Seven Gables. The house was built in 1668 by Captain John Turner and was the inspiration for the book of the same name by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Right next door is the birthplace of Hawthorne built about 1750 and relocation to the site of the House of the Seven Gables in 1958. We also visited 'The Burying Point' which is the oldest cemetery in Salem (1637). We found it fascinating with headstones dating back to the late 1600's. Right next door is the Witch Trials Memorial, a memorial to those that were tried and executed as witches in 1692. The memorial contains stone benches, each with the name of a man or woman condemned during the witch trials of 1692. There were a total of 200 tried as witches in a 13 month period from 1692 to 1693 with a total of 19 men and women hanged, 1 man crushed, as well as 2 dogs being hanged. We visited the Salem Witch History Museum which was a historical retelling of the story of the witch trials. It was a fascinating day and if your ever in Massachusetts we recommend visiting the town of Salem.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The Burying PointThe Burying Point
The Burying Point

Oldest cemetery in the city of Salem


30th August 2013

hello
WOW I would love to be there in Massachusetts. I forget the name of the town but there is suppose to be wall with the names of the Mattoon family who lost their life when the indians burned down the town. It was something to do with the King Philp war.

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0762s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb