Northwest Adventure Day 5


Advertisement
Published: October 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

NW Adventure Day 5

Did the drive from the east entrance to Logan's Pass again and then went around to drive the part of the west entrance that was open.

Jerry relaxing on our balconyJerry relaxing on our balconyJerry relaxing on our balcony

Getting ready to start the new day!

What a room!


We awaken to find out exactly why the room we acquired last night, under our dire circumstances, cost what it did, even with the discount they gave us. As we step out on to the balcony, there is a creek running along that side of this Great Bear Lodge. We heard it through the night but seeing the clear water run over the stones and rock was a morning greeting. There are trees in full color immediately beyond the creek and then, the trees are surrounded with a full back view of Glacier mountains. We have coffee on the balcony, watching shadows dance along the mountains as the sun works its way higher in the sky. We decide the room and ambiance are well worth the rate and since we have been well under our hotel budget since we left Milwaukee, we decide to try for another night in spite of its cost. In addition to its beauty, we could use a day that we wouldn't have to pack up and tour and move to a different place.

It turns out that the St. Mary Lodge and Resort are expecting a film crew in to shoot
Going-to-the-Sun Road Going-to-the-Sun Road Going-to-the-Sun Road

Day 2 - second time
some scenes for "Sister's Keeper," a movie that will be out sometime in the future. The crew will take almost the entire accommodations so we wait while the manager tries to figure out if they can still accommodate our request to stay another night. We are very thankful when he returns and says that since some of the film crew is not coming until the next night, we can stay one more night. The manager gets a hug from Rita and the staff get candy. Relieved and very happy, we head out for a full day sightseeing, knowing we won't have to worry about finding a place to stay tonight.

One note about weather - it is still unseasonably warm. The locals are also amazed. They said this was very unusual. Not only were the temperatures significantly warmer than normal, because of that warmth, the trees have kept their leaves so the autumn colors were still at peak. Those we spoke with could not remember a fall that had lasted so long. We are so, so thankful. It is shorts again for us though we put sweatsuits close by in the car in case needed at the higher altitudes.
Mountain viewMountain viewMountain view

Note the fall colors of the trees


Going-to-the-Sun Road


Our original intention was to go around to the West side of Glacier NP and then come back and do this east side up to Logan's Pass again today. However, we decide to reverse that so we can see this east side at a different time of day (late morning/early afternoon) rather than the same late afternoon timing as yesterday. So, off we go on the same route as yesterday. We talk with the Ranger on the way in. She gives us the schedule - this side is open just to the other side of Logan's Pass through Monday. Then, this side will close well before Logan's Pass and the west side will open to Logan's Pass while they make repairs on this side. It is nice that they keep as much of the road open as possible while they do the repairs. We are definitely not the only late travelers.

We follow the same part of Going-to-the Sun Road that we did yesterday. With few exceptions, it seems like a totally new road because the sun is shining so differently today than yesterday. There are new drivers on the road, very similar to yesterday.
Avalanche pathsAvalanche pathsAvalanche paths

We got pretty good at recognizing the paths left by avalanches
We are amused by some old-fashioned open view tour cars going up or back down the road with tourists who either came by bus or decided not to drive themselves on this precarious road. We wave to some, others just pass us by.

We are certain some of our pictures today are duplicative of yesterday's. Still, the views seemed so different, we could not hold back from taking more pictures. Some stops we remember, others seem new today. We spend a little less time where the road closes but stop at the Logan's Pass Visitor Center that we didn't stop at yesterday. There is a paved walkway that we contemplate taking Jerry's scooter out for. However, after talking with the ranger, the distance he could use the scooter is not that long before steps will stop him from going further. We decide not to take the scooter out and know with the altitude, walking it was not an option either. The views from the visitor center were satisfying enough so we take it all in and move on our way. Later, we would learn there were bighorn sheep along that path but who could have known at the time. We are still satisfied with the views we took in and that we moved along.

We descend with a little more contemplative perspective, knowing it was the last drive on this side of Glacier that we would do.

Glacier National Park - West


Jerry had looked at the map this morning and had seen a shorter route to get back to US 2 which would take us around to the West side of Glacier (labelled "49"). It would take the drive under 100 miles, obviously an expected time saver. It was absolutely hysterical. It was a shorter distance but the road was so winding, so up and down, and so hard to drive, the 13 miles took us longer than the 24 miles on HWY 89 would have ever taken. Though we lost time on it, neither of us regretted it because the colors and views were outstanding. And the road was a challenge in a good way - incredibly wonderful to travel.

We arrived at the west entrance to Glacier National Park later than expected but that was OK. We drove the part of Going-to-the Sun Road that was open from that side. It is
RepeatRepeatRepeat

We know we took this yesterday but it looks different today!
so different from the entrance on the east. Trees that seem ancient to us tower over both sides of the road. The mountain views seems a little less dramatic primarily because from this side, they are more tree covered and less glaciers.

We took a dirt road that we really weren't sure where it went but we were too curious not to. There was a great view of a mountain creek coming through and then what looked like some private shacks, including the Park's Ranger quarters. Soon after, we see an amusing "Dead End" road sign and decide to just turn around. There were a few walkway turnouts that we walked. It was beautiful in a very different way than the start mountain peaks coming from the entrance to the east. We were glad we did it though Jerry commented how he imagines being able to drive the Road straight through, more dramatically going from the east entrance to the west must be much more dramatic. We contemplate staying extra days to accommodate the road repair work so that Jerry could see this side coming all the way from Logan's Pass but pretty quickly decide that is would not be worth it. He still couldn't see the full length of the Road and since we are not as far north as we plan to get yet, we would be chancing weather for the more northern parts of our venture still to come.

We finish the west entrance of the Going-to-the-Sun Road and stop in West Glacier for some souvenirs and the local West Glacier Bar. We met some interesting people, some that stay year round. Interesting conversation but knowing the long drive we have ahead, we pretty quickly move on. We are late enough that we know part of our trip back will be in the dark so we very quickly decide to take the longer 24 mile route toward the end rather than the "shorter" 13 mile route we opted for on the way here. We couldn't imagine driving that in the dark. As it was, the drive back was long and a little tense knowing we'd probably see cows or other wildlife on the roadside. Our thoughts proved true as Jerry rounded one turn to find a youngster cow in the middle of the road. Even the youngster was big enough to have done serious damage
DepthDepthDepth

Still trying to give more depth perception to viewers
had he not been so careful.

We had another situation on the road, very close to our lodging, that was quite unnerving. There was a stopped truck somewhat pulled over on the other side of the road. We slowed enough to check if everything was ok but not enough for anything amiss to happen - or so we thought. The truck was pulling away and all of a sudden (literally), this woman comes into our lane, waving our arms. Jerry swerves and just barely misses her, both of us very stressed. We see in rear view mirrors that the truck has driven away and the woman is still in the middle of the road. We decide to go back cautiously to check it out, agreeing that under no circumstances would we allow her into our car. We go back and she claims her boyfriend had beat her up and she needed a ride to a friend's house. We tell her that we will send help but will not give her a ride. (We continually watch to see if the truck is returning but it doesn't.) She again pleads her case, not wanting police involved and we again refuse to let her in our car. We tell her to wait on the side of the road (so as not to get hit) and we will send help quickly. We get to our lodge and immediately report the incident, asking for help. Turns out she is a local person and they had had many reports of such incidents earlier in the summer but had hoped she left the area since they had not heard of anything recently. Their security person went to see if she was still there but he came back and said he checked up and down and she was now gone. He said we did the right thing as you just never know but also assured us she was virtually harmless, she had psychiatric issues. As comforting as that all was, it was still enough to leave us shaken, especially Jerry who felt he had been so close to hitting her, it was difficult for him to settle down.

We had a late dinner there at the lodge. The manager from earlier in the day was still there and chatted with us for awhile. Then, we headed to the room for a good night's sleep. The two
Glow of the sunGlow of the sunGlow of the sun

Things looked so different with the sun hitting the mountains from a different direction
days at Glacier were fun-filled but very long. Sleep was welcome after some relaxation on the balcony, listening to the creek's running water.





Additional photos below
Photos: 70, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

The RoadThe Road
The Road

Note how it goes through the rock ahead and then down and around
Unknown PolesUnknown Poles
Unknown Poles

We weren't sure if these were pole markers for snow plowing or if something hung from them in high season
Going-to-the Sun RoadGoing-to-the Sun Road
Going-to-the Sun Road

The light color in the middle is the Road
Closer view of the roadCloser view of the road
Closer view of the road

Not sure this adequately shows the road but anyone who has been there will relate for sure
No Room for ErrorNo Room for Error
No Room for Error

A better picture of the road near Logan's Pass - do not cross the yellow line; do not veer to the right either
Canadian AcquaintancesCanadian Acquaintances
Canadian Acquaintances

We met these gentleman where the road closed and chatted for awhile. They came down for the day - first time they saw Glacier. Also gave us weather report for Banff/Lake Louise. Safe travels for all hopefully!
Incredible Pull-OutIncredible Pull-Out
Incredible Pull-Out

You can see the immediate drop-off from this viewpoint
Depth PerceptionDepth Perception
Depth Perception

Still trying to give some sense of depth
Imagine SpringImagine Spring
Imagine Spring

You can see the paths of water even when water is not flowing


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb