An American Wedding in Lexington


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Lexington
September 15th 2012
Published: December 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On September 15th, in the heart of the Bluegrass, flanked by historic brick colonials and shaded by a tall maple tree, Andras and I were finally married! We opted for a small, intimate ceremony combining a blend of natural beauty with southern elegance. In the weeks and months before, I'd busily hit the corners of the country again - Seattle for a bridal shower, New York to pick up the wedding dress - while Andras was out of the country in Mexico. The days prior were filled with last-minute errands, picking up family at the airport and finalizing arrangements for the rehersal dinner, watching the weather forecast call first for rain, then for thunderstorms, then for severe thunderstorms strickly limited to the hours our wedding was to be held outdoors. And somehow, everything was perfect.

Up until planning our own wedding, I took-for-granted the accepted rituals that we either felt, personally, were necessary for the day to proceed, or that we were obligated, socially, to include in order to meet the expectations of our guests. These liminal moments in life are some of the last vestiges for superstition in an otherwise rational world. When I hear of weddings in other cultures, other places, I am always curious to hear about the traditions that accompany the day, so it was a surprising pleasure to hear how uniquely American our wedding was considered from foreign friends of ours. Just because we don't classify our wedding as culturally exotic, doesn't mean it isn't deeply cultural. I could likely talk at length about the day, but I won't for a few reasons. Firstly, describing your emotions often sounds cliche - but they're there, in a look or a laugh; I think our photographer did a much better job capturing that than I ever could in words. Second, reading about other people's love is tedious, and besides, what we did isn't nearly so interesting as why we did it. So instead: the making of an American wedding.

The Making of a Bride

The morning of the wedding, immediate female family members and closest female friend(s) gather together - along with hair-stylists and make-up artists - to participate in the bridal transformation. Nails have all been manicured, trimmed and freshly painted. The hand you give in marriage, should, afterall, be looking its best. The selection of a hair-style has been carefully considered, perhaps even
The Making of a BrideThe Making of a BrideThe Making of a Bride

All hands on deck to button all the many buttons.
agonized over, for weeks. Up or down; structured or loose. It is an important decision as it, along with The Dress, sets the attitude of the day. A tightly constricted, every-hair-in-its-place, up-do suggests formality, elegance and propriety. Loose hair cascading down over the shoulders announces that one can relax, be a little care-free - a little boheme. In fact, the one thing that surprised my father was that I'd chosen to pull my hair up, rather than let it tumble down my back. It was a calculated decision. Swept up curls with tendrils loose around the face. Natural but classy.

Hair and make-up complete, the wedding dress makes its appearance. Up until the point when The Dress enters the picture, the scene is mostly one of fun and laughter. However, once the cacophany of lace and tulle adrons the body, the tone turns more serious.

Everyone present has a role to play in ensuring the bride is ready to be presented. Dozens of tiny buttons are carefully done up by hand. Someone helps her step into her shoes as she can no longer see her feet. Carefully chosen accessories are presented for good luck. Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. She is veiled and handed a bouquet of fragrant flowers, a pop of color against the background of white. There is now a bride in the midst.

The Making of a Groom

Some point along the way - after taking care of any issues that should have already been dealt with, and fielding questions that should have been posed to someone else - the groom finds a moment to get dressed. A designee is sent from the bride with a small parcel, a symbolic token from the bride - socks to prevent the groom "from getting cold feet" on his way to the alter.

Prelude to Ceremony

Traditionally, it has been considered bad luck for the groom to see the bride prior to the ceremony. But in recent years - coinciding with the rise of couples who have long since cohabitated and shared their day-to-day lives with each other - it has become popular for the bride and the groom to steal a quiet moment away together before arriving at the alter. Still, the "first look" is an entirely orchestrated affair; it remains bad luck for the groom to see the bride
The Bridal BouquetThe Bridal BouquetThe Bridal Bouquet

Loved these flowers: yellow and ivory garden roses, green hydragea and seeded eucalyptus. Then springs of silver lambs-ear (from memories of the fuzzy leaves I loved a child), freesia (my mother's favorite scent) and a few hen-and-chicks (as a nod to the ones growing near grandparents back deck and my father's potted succulents).
outside this brief, scripted window, before or after, and great pains are taken by all involved to ensure an accidental meeting of the couple does not occur (even if this means hiding a bride behind a pillar, and creating a human blockade of bridesmaids and groomen to avert the groom's eyes, should they find themselves on the same sidewalk, outside the same coffee shop, the morning of).

Because ceremonies can now be held anywhere, couples feel pressure to have every nuance of their wedding "mean something." We chose a small historic park, downtown, a few blocks from where we met.

At the ceremony site, the groom waits beneath an alter - specially decorated for the event - while the processional of parents and attendants make their way down the aisle. The bride is escorted by her father, walking along a petal strewn path created in the wake of a young, innocent flower girl. Women with feminist sensabilities who do not want to rob their parents of a special moment when she is "given away" determine that an appropriate response to "Who gives this woman to this man" is "She gives of herself, and has our blessing." Rings are exchanged (maid-of-honors in particular should take good care to, first, not forget them, and then later not lose them on the ground!), vows are made, hands are bound in unity so the couple can "tie the knot" and the pact is sealed with a kiss and "I Do."

The Reception

While the new couple gets whisked away by the photographer to forever capture their newly wedded bliss on film, wedding guests make their way to an adjacent reception site to imbibe in cocktails and appetizers. One should never leave their guests hungry. When word spreads that the couple is on their way back, all gather around to witness the couple's entrance as they are announced, for the first time, as husband and wife. Toasts are made; speeches are given. Alcohol is free-flowing. A meal is served. And everytime an individual taps a utensil against their glassware, the rest of the guests join in and the couple must kiss to the symphony of clinkling silverware.

The dance floor is opened with the couple sharing their first dance to a song chosen ahead of time. Later, the wedding cake is cut - a multi-layer confection ornately embellished to coordinate with the bride's ensemble. Displayed off to the side is the groom's cake - a smaller cake, decorated to reflect an aspect of the groom's personality or a hobby. The bride makes the first slice into the cake, with the groom's hands atop hers, and is fed the first bite from her husband. And remember, no matter how stable that perfect slice of cake appears to be balancing atop that silver knife, a smart husband will have a plate at the ready to catch it the moment it almost topples to the floor! All the crumbs must be eaten up or you will suffer from infertility. The top layer of the cake is then removed and carefully wrapped to keep for the next year, when it will be eaten one year later on the couple's first anniversary.

In order to share their good fortune in finding a happy partner, the bride and groom gather all the single men and woman together for the bouquet and garter toss. First the groom wades through numerous layers of fabric in search of the elusive garter, encircling his wife's thigh. Once free, he tosses it into the eager crowd, who should fight over
Lavender TossLavender TossLavender Toss

Leaving the reception at the Bodley-Bullock house, being showered with fragrant lavender buds (my favorite) rather than rice
it amongst themselves, rather than silently watch it fall to the ground without moving a muscle. The bride will then follow suit, tossing a bridal bouquet into the sea of single ladies, who should clamour for the flowers as though catching them is a special honor. Whomever catches the garter and bouquet is supposed to be the next to get married and have good luck in their relationships. Apparently, no one at our wedding was too keen on getting married anytime soon (as one of my bridal attendants said, "Ordinarly I'm a team player, but I am not catching the bouquet.")

After much merriment, it is time for the bride and groom to depart. All the guests line up and shower the exiting couple with rice or, for the more eco-friendly and ever so aromatic option, dried lavendar buds, showering them with fertility and luck. Secretly, the wedding party has tied tin cans, streamers and ribbons to the back bumper of the get-away car so that the itrattles down the street, drawing attention from passersby (and did it ever!), announcing to all who see it that the couple inside was "Just Married" and will, presumably, live "Happily Ever After."



*All wedding photos were taken by Josh Perkins of RedTreePhotography. Bridal shower photos copyright of Emily Hawken of e�photography. They are both phenomenally good at what they do, so if you need photos in the Kentucky or Washington area, look them up!


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Entry TableEntry Table
Entry Table

A entry-way or card table is designed to reflect the couple's tastes; naturally ours was vintage travel themed, complete with old globes, post-war era suitcases and retro travel-guides.
Are We Ready?Are We Ready?
Are We Ready?

Waiting at the top of the stairs, in the Bodley-Bullock House
The First LookThe First Look
The First Look

Making my way through the gardens to see Andras before the ceremony
Wedding ProgramWedding Program
Wedding Program

Hand-made the day (er...night) before by my all my family and bridesmaids!
Coffee RunCoffee Run
Coffee Run

Andras can't function without his coffee, so I ordered drinks for "The Groom" "The Bride" "The Best Man" (etc) - only to almost run into him on the way back as heading off to order his own.
Maid of HonorMaid of Honor
Maid of Honor

Showing a little home-team pride
TransformationTransformation
Transformation

Checking out the make-up


13th December 2012

Congratulations!
Fantastic news - warmest congratulations to you both!!
13th December 2012

Congratulations!
Wonderful, wonderful news! I just saw this as my workday threatens to begin in 3 minutes, so haven't had time to read the text yet, but wanted to fire-off a comment of congratulations immediately!
14th December 2012

Thanks so much mysterious stranger who, assuming a work day beginning between 7 - 9am, is presently located somewhere amongst China, SE Asia and E. Australia ;) That ... actually doesn't narrow it down all that much. Do let us know who you are upon your return for the text!
14th December 2012

anonymously congratulated!
...see, I was so quick fire with my comment I failed to login! Having now read the blog I was thinking it would be interesting to trace the origins of the many different traditions that together make the 'American Wedding'.
27th January 2013

I find one of the most defining aspect of an American wedding is that you can piece together whichever traditions you feel connected to you so long as you can justify a claim to it. But the majority of those we incorporated stem from English tradition, admittedly.
14th December 2012
Socks and Shoes

Nice Socks!
But perhaps a little jam is needed on those shoes so you can invite them trousers down for tea;-)
14th December 2012

Congratulations!
What a beautiful bride and handsome groom and perfect wedding!
27th January 2013

Thank you! We do indeed feel blessed to have had such a wonderful day.
14th December 2012

Congratulations Stephanie and Andreas,
We are so happy for you and glad the weather was perfect. The photos are amazing. You make a lovely couple. Love the socks and the get away car!
27th January 2013

Thanks so much for the kind compliments! I cannot take any credit for the wonderful photos (apart from selecting the photographer!), but will graciously accept my role in helping to make our couple-dom so lovely ;)
14th December 2012

Congratulations!
Beautiful pictures and gorgeous couple...congratulations to both of you!
14th December 2012

Congratulations!
What a wonderful day.. the photos are beautiful and you both look fantastic. x
15th December 2012
Here Comes the Bride

CONGRATS & HAPPY DAYS
Nothing like a wedding to bring smiles and happiness. Best wishes for a brilliant future together.
19th December 2012

congratulations!
everything looks perfect, both of you looking great! I love the colors...amazing photos. best wishes to you . x
21st December 2012

Beautiful post
Very beautiful presentation of your journey of your most important day. I read this post in the morning and felt really nice. Wish you both happy life ahead.
21st December 2012

:)
Huge congratulations Guys... What a stunning description of what was clearly a beautiful day.... Beautiful photos too... Happy Holidays!!! :)
27th January 2013

Thank you! We could not have asked for anything better. And happy (belated - oops) holidays to you and yours as well!
21st December 2012

Congratulations to you both!!!
Here's wishing you many happy, travel filled years together :)
27th January 2013

Thank you so much! I can say unequivocally we are hoping for the same. :)
13th March 2013
Socks and Shoes

adorable!
I cannot tell you how much I love this pic :)
17th April 2013

A belated congrats on your nuptials!! Wishing you both many years of happiness and travels.
17th April 2013
Socks and Shoes

p.s. I've seen a lot of wedding shots and I agree...that is a great shot!!

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 28; qc: 156; dbt: 0.127s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb