5 Essential Things to Check on Your Car Before Going on a Road Trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
December 12th 2013
Published: December 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Road trips are one of the great American pastimes, with highways devoted to the fun and adventure inherent in a long trip.These days, with tools such as GPS, Wi-Fi hotspots, and refrigerators you can actually keep in your car, it's never been easier to hop in your vehicle and take off for destinations unknown. Of course, those things aren't necessary for a fun trip, but there are some things you want to check before you drive off toward the sunset.

Dunk Your Dipstick






Image via Flickr by bradleyolin

There are several things you can do yourself when you're getting ready for an epic road trip, starting with some routine maintenance. Do you know how to check your oil, brake fluid, and coolant? Get to it. If you don't know how, you need to learn how to check your fluids yourself. It's a worthwhile skill to have on the road, especially if you're going on an extended road trip. While you're at it, learn how to change your fluids as well.

Kick the Tires






Image via Flickr by Horace Ko

You don't actually have to kick your tires, but you need to check their air pressure. This is another helpful skill to have when road trips are your passion. Pick up a pressure gauge so you can keep an eye out on your tires while you're on the road as well. The world's not all smooth, multi-lane highways; you need to know your tires are in good condition on any kind of terrain.

After you finish with those four, check the pressure on your spare. You don't want to risk getting a flat, only to discover that the spare's shot. Don't have a spare? It's time to get one, and don't spare too much cost. You might save yourself a lot of money if you get stranded somewhere.

Stock Up on Insurance






Image via Flickr by Mark Turnauckas

You never know what can happen on the road. Even when you're just driving around your hometown, accidents happen. Before you climb behind the wheel, make sure you have comprehensive car insurance. Compare quotes and look for more information about the types of insurance you need when you're traveling.

You don't want to get caught out if you don't have adequate insurance. When you're away from home, you need to take extra precautions. Protect yourself against accidents, damages, theft, and anything else you think you may need. You should also ask about any perks or special features, such as roadside assistance.

Get a General Checkup






Image via Flickr by Sean Freese

Although you can do some maintenance yourself, let the professionals handle other aspects. If you've got a dash light on, hear funny noises, or notice a weird shaking in the steering wheel, you should naturally take your car in for a checkup before you leave. However, even if you don't necessarily notice anything wrong, it doesn't hurt to have your mechanic take a look at it.

If you aren't sure how to change your own oil or check the tire pressure, this is a great time to ask your mechanic to show you how. Get tips on other types of routine car maintenance as well, such as changing spark plugs or a flat tire.

Prepare for Any Eventuality




Make sure that you have everything you need in the event of an accident, whether it happens in or out of the car. Along with your spare tire, check that have your jack and road flares. You should also make sure your first aid kit is fully equipped with anything you might need. You have to take care of yourself and your passengers when you're out on the open road. What's in the trunk or the glove compartment is just as important as what's under the hood.

Following the items on this checklist won't take the spontaneity out of your next adventure, but it will make sure your road trip goes off without a hitch. What are some other essentials you must have when you slide behind the wheel?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb