4 Common Deals Travelers Can Take Advantage of to Save Money


Advertisement
Published: January 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We all need to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but travel can put a real dent in your finances. The average American family spent $4,580 on summer vacations this year. However, travelers can beat those high prices by taking advantage of these great travel deals.

Look for Deals First and Plan Later






Image via Flickr by CollegeDegrees360

Most travelers decide when they want to get away and where before making travel plans. However, you can save big if you find a great deal first, then make your plans.

"Say you want to go to Hawaii, but there's a great deal to Mexico or the Caribbean," explained Travel-Ticker.com's senior editor Angela Lyda. "The flight is half the time and probably half the cost; you'll still get that beach destination, but you'll save time and money."

Keep an eye on group-buying websites, sign up to airline e-mail lists, and follow accommodation providers on Facebook and Twitter. Monitoring the online activity of all these travel companies can help you find that deal to build your vacation around.

Get a Travel-Affiliated Credit Card




Unless you're a regular jetsetter, you might never earn free travel using your frequent flyer card. Using a travel-affiliated credit card can get you much closer to a complimentary flight.

All American air carriers offer branded credit cards that reward users with between 30,000 and 50,000 bonus miles just for signing up and making a purchase. That's enough to take an economy flight within the country before you start. Keep using the card for every purchase to accumulate more points and ensure they never expire.

Join Loyalty Programs




Many travel providers reward frequent customers through loyalty programs, so joining them can really save you. Hotel chains typically give their loyalty members early access to sales, discounts on in-house dining, and free stays on the accumulation of points.

Vehicle hire companies also offer deals on car rentals through similar schemes. You might enjoy every 10th hire free or discounted rates of up to 20 percent, but travel writer Chris Elliott insists the biggest perk is the VIP treatment.

"For example, I've run up huge fuel charges and even used the car an extra day, but once I waved my preferred card (which I use less than once a year) all those charges suddenly disappear," he wrote.

Many travel loyalty programs are free to join, so there's no reason not to take advantage of the savings.

Purchase a Package Deal




Package vacations are more limiting that do-it-yourself vacations, but they can help you get access to deals you won’t find anywhere else, according to Andrew Young of Travelzoo.com.

"Hotels will have a rate they aren't publishing publicly, and airlines will have a fare they aren't making available to the general public, so agencies will combine the two to come up with a really hot deal," he explained.

The deals often don't end with your airfare and accommodation; many also include meals, entertainment, and activities. Buying one is a great way to ensure you don't blow your budget on these expensive extras.

So why pay more for your vacation than you have to? If you know where to look, you'll find plenty of places to save on your travel.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb