5 Reasons People Make Major Geographical Moves


Advertisement
Published: December 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Just as with any major life decision, there are many reasons people choose to make major geographical moves. Sometimes these decisions are based upon career choices and financial motivations. Other times it's more a matter of personal relationships and achievements. Here are five reasons people make major geographical moves.


Craving Adventure



Let's be honest. Some people move simply because they feel like it. To some people the idea of staying in one place for the rest of their lives -- or even a few years -- can seem stifling and overbearing. Instead, they choose to pursue careers that take them all over the world, either through business traveling or temporary relocation assignments. Still, others put little value on worldly positions and prefer to gallivant through life landing wherever the wind takes them.


Retiring



Some enjoy migrating to warmer climates seasonally as "snow birds," while others choose to make more permanent moves in retirement. These golden years just after retirement can be the perfect time to make such a move; they're still young enough to be able to do most of the activities they want to, but old enough to have seen many places and know exactly where they want to go.

Even if retirement doesn't mean a migration to warmer weather, sometimes it warrants downsizing to a smaller living environment. People who are retired likely don't need as much space as they did when they were younger and aren't in the process of raising a family. It's also nice to take advantage of retirement communities and condo associations that feature rental agreements that include all the expenses they'll need, including special care attention and transportation needs as residents age.


Getting Married and Family Milestones



Marriage is a wonderful time when two families become one, but it also usually involves two households moving into one space, people and belongings included. So not long after the wedding bells are done ringing, moving trucks tend to make appearances in the driveways of newlyweds as they move on to their next stage of life.

When families grow by adopting a new pet, or a child reaches an age that causes the family to out grow their home or their community, many make the decision to move to a new home or town. School district boundaries, along with local laws and crime rates, play a major role in helping these decisions along and narrowing them down to potential towns and geographical areas.


Changing Careers



Pretty much everyone has a dream job. Thankfully (or not so thankfully, depending on how you look at it), that job usually doesn't end up being in their hometown. Some people are more willing than others to move across the world to follow their dreams. But how fun would it be to branch out and live somewhere new for a while?

For those who are looking to make a major migration, there are great jobs all around the world; you just need to know where to look for them. If you're interested in traveling to the Middle East, sites like Dubizzle are great for feeling out the job market and making connections with potential employers.


Housing Issues



The National Realtor Association used data from the Census Bureau from each year in America between 2001 and 2009 to determine the reasons behind why most people move. It found that the largest percentage of people who moved did so to improve or adjust their housing; either for a cheaper home or apartment, to transition from renting into owning their home, or to upgrade to a larger space as the family outgrows the old home.

No matter what your reasoning for making a major geographical move, it's not going to be a trivial decision by any stretch of the imagination. Major moves entail making great sacrifices, setting and sticking to priorities, and keeping your eye on the goal.

What's the biggest move you've ever made? Why did you decide to do it? Feel free to share your story in the comments.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.378s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb