Warmth - Do You Remember that Feeling?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
February 20th 2009
Published: February 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from Miami - sunny and warm in winter. We love it.

There isn’t much to do in Miami but relax in whatever way you choose. Some choose the beach - frying like an egg, and others choose a café on Collins Avenue - watching the world go by, and other choose some sort of transport - scooter, segway, mustang or electric car. Whichever way they choose, everyone is after the same result - people looking and turning heads. Everything here in Miami seems to be here to be seen. Whether it’s the mannequins who HUGE boobs or the people in our dorm room. We have French model who is a writer in philosophy and modeling is a side thing In fact even in our hotel there is a play write looking for a director for his play, boys and girls looking to be noticed in the hope of becoming famous.

We haven’t done anything in particular; the first day after we were delayed in Baltimore of all places for a few hours, we went to the beach, walking along the white sand, watching everyone bake and fry. And then took a look at the art deco architecture. It was really beautiful, so many old hotels in the same style. It creates character in a city that could be lost in white sand and “beautiful people”. It made me wish you could go back to the era, where things were simpler and people wore bigger bathing suits.

The next day we bummed around the hostel for most of the day, did some washing and went out after dinner to view the night life of Miami. A bit like Phillip Island, but with a few more lights, night clubs and strip clubs. It seems like people just walk around without actually going into restaurants or bar or they actually stay at home and drink with those they’re there with.

On our last full day in Miami we decided to head to the beach, except for the fact that it cost $18 for a deluxe lounge chair and we didn’t want to deal with getting sand out of a microfibre towel. So we walked along the beach and then relaxed pool side at our hostel where deck chairs don’t cost anything. We thought it was really time to catch a bus and explore Downtown Miami and Little Havana, rather than just staying in South Beach. There wasn’t much to Little Havana, just like Victoria Road for Vietnamese, not at all like Lygon Street where at least there are loads of restaurants. The Calle Ocho had a few places to eat but not a lot when you don’t count Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and Subway. From there we walked around downtown Miami, like most small cities there were tall buildings. We made our way to Bayside Market, it wasn’t too bad a few shops, stalls and restaurants. You could dine at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co, a whole restaurant set up after and around Forrest Gump. It was funny and yes they had all kind of shrimp and merchandise. After we both enjoyed the a fruit smoothie and Spanish guitar. It was the most relaxing day we have day for a little while. Some of you may think that sounds strange, especially when we’ve been on ‘holiday’ for almost 11 months now, but travelling is different to holidaying. When travelling you still have to think about what you want to cook for dinner and how much will it cost, you rush to catch a train and wait for the bus to take you to your next location, because it’s the cheaper travel option, where as holidays you eat out all the time, rarely think about a budget and caught a taxi somewhere instead of bus or walking. Travel Vs Holiday is different.

Nights in Miami are a little quiet and especially in the hostel/hotel. In the 11 months since we left home fellow backpackers have changed. Most I won’t say everyone, but most people carry laptops, and all hostels offer free wi-fi. This is great because you save money on their overpriced internet access but it seems to have killed conversations. Everyone is busy communicating with those at home rather than communicating with those around them. It loses something.

Our last day in Miami was a big one; we collect what was to be our home for the next six weeks - a Pontiac Vibe. And it’s red. We are now off to the Everglades for the next couple of days and then across America.

Til next time,
Michelle and Stephen.
xox


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb