A monkey wrench may be flung....


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
August 30th 2008
Published: August 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The monkey wrench has a name. Gustav. With it bearing down on the Gulf Coast, we are rethinking our return trip from Los Angeles at the end of our cruise. The plan now is to take the Sunset Limited to New Orleans, spend the night and then head out the next day on the Crescent to D.C. and then the Silver Meteor down to Miami. The likelihood of Gustav destroying not only New Orleans again, and possibly taking out the tracks along the Gulf Coast, makes us want to look at other options. Not what we wanted to do. The thought of being in Chicago in December is not pleasant. We have too many bad memories of bad/rough trips on Amtrak from there. Nevermind that we are south Floridians now! We'd be COLD! On the other hand that would mean that we get to eat at Portillo's again! I'm going to wait a day or so to see what the hurricane situation is and then make changes if needed.

Advertisement



31st August 2008

Patience
I think the key will be to wait a couple of days to see exactly what is happening with the storm. I hate to think this monster is going to hit New Orleans again but....Let's just keep our fingers crossed.
31st August 2008

Waiting...
We are doing just that but the dang tracks are so close to the shoreline up to New Orleans it worries us.

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb