Just a small hurricane warning!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami Beach
October 25th 2010
Published: October 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

DAY 24
Alarm went off at about 7am and after a restless nights sleep we ate free cereal for breakfast and hit the road. We bypassed Jacksonville as it was really only a stopping point anyway. We took a detour for awhile around Daytona beach to try and see some beach and scenery, but most of the beach views were blocked by trees and hotels. It kind of reminded us of what Gold Coast would look like. After getting back on the I-95 to Miami, we did take another detour to Cape Canaveral and Cocoa beach. We would have liked to have gone to Kennedy Space Centre, however time was just not in our favour. We pulled off the I-95 again to go to the Walmart Supercentre to pick up some bread and longlife milk and mouthwash at Cocoa beach. The Walmart is just so big, it had a bank, a hairdressers, an optometrist, a coin exchange, subway, restrooms, liquor store, newsagency, supermarket and the equivalent of big w within its walls. The weird thing is we were looking for longlife milk, which at home fills about half an aisle, however over here as they use creamer for their coffees, they don’t really have a need for longlife milk and as a result there is only one brand. In fact the last one we picked up, had expired in Aug and we bought it in Oct. After picking up some other basics we stopped again just after Cape Canaveral at a beach on Cocoa beach to eat lunch. We had to pay for parking, but it was a really nice beach and the sun was so warm would have been nice to go for a swim!! We got back on the road just after 1pm and made our way to Miami via the I-95. Ideally if we’d had more time we would have had a stopover along the florida coast as the beaches were beautiful. Got into Miami Beach at around 4.30pm after some clouds and scattered rain. We did hear on the radio on the way in that there was a hurricane over the coast and that at this stage there was no hurricane warning, but that this could change. Can’t say i’d like to experience a hurricane especially after seeing the devastation in New Orleans!
After checking in, we had to get valet parking at $34 a night, but not much other choice right on the beach, i booked the everglades tour for Tuesday. It is a full day tour that consists of airboat ride, boat cruise, walk, lunch and bus ride and we are quite looking forward to it. We then headed downstairs, past our pool/bar to the beach. We strolled along the beach and the water for a few miles before coming in and walking along the sidewalk and lummus park. Miami beach is really beautiful! We crossed over the road and headed back up towards our hotel. There are tonnes of cafes/restaurants/bars that lined the streets and we found a place that had happy hour and ordered a cocktail each. After we had finished, we kept walking before we found somewhere we wanted to eat. I just felt like something light after last night’s Mexican and in the end we asked a place what drink specials and they said 2 for 1 so we said deal!! I got a pasta salad and scott got steak. The cocktails were really big, and the food was good. After dinner, we walked back up to the hotel, where i managed to scam free wi-fi in the room as the wi-fi that connects for free in the lobby also works in the room!! Yippeeee... Tomorrow we will do a spot of shopping, try the best key lime pie Miami apparently and spend the afternoon swimming. Fairly early night for us, but we need it after a restless night last night!



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



25th October 2010

Everglades
Looking forward to seeing photos and hearing about Everglades trip. Will email photos of car when I finish this. Only 8 days to go with dog-sitting, not that I am counting!!! Luv ya mum

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb