Goodbye Shona and Colin!!!!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Macclenny
October 24th 2010
Published: October 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

DAY 23
Got up, finished packing, put bags in the car and headed down to the lobby to meet Colin and Shona at 8.30 for breakfast. We walked around for a little bit before finding a Cafe at the top of Jackson Square opposite Cafe Du Monte. We all ordered omelettes, which are served with Toast and Grits. I have never had grits before, but they are somewhat similar to Oatmeal just “grittier”. They came out plain, but would have been nice with honey or golden syrup or something like that. We walked back towards the hotel, stopping in at a little coffee shop for some coffee. Scott and I got the chickory coffee as apparently this is the traditional way to have coffee in New Orleans - tasted pretty similar to normal coffee to me. We then checked out of the hotel and made our goodbyes to Colin and Shona. Was great staying with them in Houston and having them come along to New Orleans too - we had a great time and wish they could have come on the rest of our holiday too!!
We then started the drive to Jacksonville, Florida, as with most of our day drives our intent is to make it to Jacksonville, so this is what we put in the GPS however if we stop short of it, no problem. We started off back on the I-10 East, but shortly after crossing over into Mississippi got off to detour down highway 90, which was a more scenic route. We ended up hitting the ocean and driving alongside it for awhile through Biloxi, Mississippi and a few other really pretty towns. The sand was white and the beaches looked really pretty. We then drove over some swamplands before getting back on the I-10, as being the interstate it was much quicker. We probably lost an hour taking the scenic route, but it was pretty. We crossed over into Alabama and then shortly after that into Florida. We had our first fast food experience for lunch when we stopped for gas. We went to Wendys where Scott got nuggets and i got fries - can’t beat lunch for $4.79!! Not bad 3 weeks in the country and we had avoided fast food!
We didn’t quite make it to Jacksonville, but stopped at a place about 30 miles out called Macclenney. Found a Travelodge, which had free wifi and breakfast. We had Mexican for dinner from a little restaurant across from the hotel. It was surprisingly nice and as a result i am now super full!! It cost for the both of us $27 and we didn’t really expect it to be that good. Have spent the night updating blogs as we make our way down to Miami tomorrow, we have 4 nights in Miami before jumping on a plane to Washington DC, then New York, Niagara Falls and Mexico. Will hopefully be able to post the Miami blogs when we are waiting at the airport for our flights.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



24th October 2010

Scenic route
You sure are covering a lot of "Miles" over there. Dare I ask how many photos you have taken on your journey so far Leisha? Must have collected lots of literature either that or you have a photographic memory with all the details contained in your blogs. I am really enjoying following your trip, keep on having a ball. Luv ya both Mum
24th October 2010

Fantastic Blog !
Just want to thamk you for taking the time to blog your trip. I live in country Vic, and hope to do a similar trip with hubby in the next year or so. Your blog is giving me plenty of ideas so thanks again and hope the rest of your holiday goes well :-) Looking forward to the next installment. Cheers Julie
25th October 2010

hey no problem at all, where abouts are you planning on going? we are having a ball and don't want to come home!!

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb