Key West Trip - Day 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys » Key West
December 6th 2007
Published: December 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Packed and Ready To GoPacked and Ready To GoPacked and Ready To Go

Pic 1 7:54 AM Packed and ready to go.
6:16 PM Now in my room as I write this. Turned on ESPN to catch up on sports news. Deciding where to go for dinner tonight. Key West is quiet this time of year. The cruise ship passengers were roaming around today, but when the ships leave it will feel more like a 'residents-and-friends only' weekend. No spring breakers on mopeds. No hoards flowing through the streets. No painted nudity...actually, I wouldn't mind some of that. And very little humidity. As many times as I've been here during the really hot months, it's a refreshing change.
If I take any pics tonight I'll post them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The Early Morning TemperatureThe Early Morning Temperature
The Early Morning Temperature

The official temperature at 8:02 AM.
Miami Traffic to be ExpectedMiami Traffic to be Expected
Miami Traffic to be Expected

Pic 3 8:20 AM You can't leave Miami at 8:00 AM on a Thursday morning and not expect to hit traffic, but look at that blue sky...it could be worse. The traffic reports on the radio sounded bad. Flat-bed truck wrecked on one highway. Big accident on I-95 making it a mess. A few fender-benders around town. Luckily I'm only 2 miles from the turnpike, which is free and clear.
Robert Is HereRobert Is Here
Robert Is Here

Pics 4 & 5 9:15 AM In just 1/2 hour after hitting the turnpike, I'm in Florida City. Florida City is the neighbor to the south of Homestead, and is the last town you pass through before leaving the mainland for the Keys. The Everglades are accessible from here. There's a winery (motto: "We don't need no steeking grapes!"), and there's Robert Is Here. If you've never stopped there on your way to the Keys, you should plan on it for your next trip. They're known for their milkshakes, which are made with fresh fruit like mango & papaya. They sell fruits & vegetables and a number of sauces, jellies, jams, etc.
Robert Is HereRobert Is Here
Robert Is Here

Fine jams and jellies
Feathered FriendFeathered Friend
Feathered Friend

9:24 AM They also are known for their animals. No, not the tourists. The animals roaming the pen out back. There are donkeys, geese, turkeys, chickens, turtles, goats, and a few other breeds. There is also a macaw and some other birds in cagesin the market. This guy (or girl; not sure) was very friendly. He (or she) was just about begging to be scratched.
Feathered FriendFeathered Friend
Feathered Friend

Looking for a scratch
Spared the Carving KnifeSpared the Carving Knife
Spared the Carving Knife

Pic 8 9:25 AM Lucky for them, these guys were spared the holiday.
Hairy FriendHairy Friend
Hairy Friend

I've got a few of those at home too.
Heading to Key LargoHeading to Key Largo
Heading to Key Largo

Pic 10 9:46 AM I leave Robert Is Here with a fresh-squeezed orange juice and head south on US1. Anyone who's made the drive knows there's not much to see on this stretch between Florida City and Key Largo. The positive thing is that there isn't any traffic.
Breakfast in Key LargoBreakfast in Key Largo
Breakfast in Key Largo

Pics 11 & 12 10:16 AM I've hit Key Largo and it's time for breakfast. I've been to the uniquely-named Key Largo Coffee House before, so I decide to stop there again. Had the eggs, bacon, potatoes and toast, with coffee. Bacon well done, just the way I like it. Great jam served with the toast. Sat on the porch, where tables line the wraparound. I don't have any pictures of the food, but I took a couple outside.
A Keys SceneA Keys Scene
A Keys Scene

Pic 13 11:35 AM A not-too-unusual Keys scene.
More Feathered FriendsMore Feathered Friends
More Feathered Friends

Pics 14 & 15 12:10 AM Another not-too-unusual Keys scene.
Seven Mile BridgeSeven Mile Bridge
Seven Mile Bridge

Pic 16 12:52 PM Seven-mile bridge.
We've ArrivedWe've Arrived
We've Arrived

Pic 17 1:25 PM I ran out of road. You know when that happens, you're in Key West. Boy, it feel's great to be home-away-from-home.
Bahama VillageBahama Village
Bahama Village

Pic 18 1:42 PM Bahama Village still radiates Key West history.
Cruise Ships off Mallory SquareCruise Ships off Mallory Square
Cruise Ships off Mallory Square

Pic 19 2:03 PM There are two cruise ships in Mallory Square. They're enormous, and tough to fit into a single frame unless you have a wide-angle lens. I snapped one pic. I think it's enough. You get the idea.
BedBed
Bed

Pic 20 4:32 PM After a couple brewed beverages at Hog's Breath, I check into the inn. King size bed, great balcony, nice view...this will work just fine.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb