Gopher Tortoise


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Clermont
January 31st 2017
Published: February 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

blog 01-30-17 Gopher Tortoise

Tuesday dawned with frost on the cars and grass and mist in the field. It was beautifully clear and the weather man promised a warm up. By 9 am it was shirt sleeve weather. How could it change so fast.

I had great plans for the day with several chores I wanted to get done. First was a load of clothes in the washer, just across the street, then our walk around the park. I visited with several people along the way, one was a man with a mini Dachshund in his yard that had spinal problems and couldn't move his hind end very much at all. I talked to him about our experiences with Doxie spines and he said the surgery is now $10,000., more than they could afford. The dog wasn't in pain and seemed to do well so hopefully that will continue.

I got back to finish my wash, make a grocery list, get the burrs out of Watson's fur (who wanted a long hair dog!) and get ready to go shopping. I never got out til 3 pm. Ginnie texted me to say the tortoise was out of it's hole and I wanted to take some pictures. So camera in hand I ran down to her house to find Tammy (Ginnie's name for her) out grazing on the grass. She was going all over eating the weeds in the lawn then Ginnie threw her a petunia flower and she gobbled it down in no time and wanted more. So we fed her more til she was ready to go back in her hole.

The Gopher Tortoises are all over the park, it's egg laying season and there are several nests around. The campground has them marked off and we have to give them space.

Alphie is captivated by them and spends hours just staring at them. Doesn't bark and carry on just stares and quivers.

I visited with Kat who was having her camper washed and waxed and Kat's friend visiting from another campground. Kim came to visit for a while. It was delightful sitting in the sun enjoying the warm day.

We had happy hour then I came back home to take pictures of the crescent moon. Dinner, some tv then bed. Big day tomorrow....


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



1st February 2017

Pictures
Thanks for the pictures. Really cool. You missed a snow storm. On, well.?

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb