In DC


Advertisement
Published: February 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

I am in DC - flying out of Montreal now seems so long ago - the early morning at the airport, the special security gate 76 for passengers flying into DCA - the in town airport - a second search of bags, and self - a glass enclosed departure gate with members of many police and security forces - was wierd, but I'm here. The first day here saw one of the military helicopters land in the White House (was excorted by two others) and could see the reasons for the extra security - the helicopters flying arounf are not that far from the jets. Flying in you see the Washington Monument from far away - like the Dead Kennedy's song "it pricks the sky" - as DC is so flat. Walked around it later in the day.

Been to many museums (great here as they are all free!!) - brain on overdrive and turning to mush. Went to the Museum of Natural History the first day - OK - got me thinking about constant change, death and rebirth, natural cycles, and then to the Lincoln Memorial - thoughts of ideals of America - of all people as equal under god - quite a radical thought even though it has not been achieved in reality.

Yesterday to the new museum of the American Indian - excellent displays and films, to the Botanical Gardens - a great place to relax, and to the Museum of American Art and National Portrait Gallery. Today to the National Art Gallery. Painting - what is important to a society and a time. Remembering what is important.

Out of time, more details next time

Advertisement



3rd February 2007

AC/DC
Well, I'm sure the security was lots of fun, wish I could have been there for that. The museums sound very interesting and I know you enjoyed them. Good luck in Mexico and have fun, but be careful too.

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1000.4kb