Washington D.C. Maam!


Advertisement
Published: November 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

God Bless America...God Bless America...God Bless America...

The Boys taking in the size of the Washington Monument, or according to Agent Frost "The Needle with which Bush F#%*'s America!"
Welcome to the United States of America, land of the free, home of the faithful, God's very own, 'yard'.

We arrived in Dulles international airport on Wednesday afternoon after an 'awesome' flight in on Virgin. 50 movies to choose from! Then onto a rather stressful time passing through 'Homeland Security' as Jona had left all his tickets on the plane, which was no longer accessible, so we had to wait 4 hours before we thankfully and luckily got them back.

We stayed in the International Hostel, $29 a night but 5 blocks from the White House and comfortable, free Showers. On our first day we were escorted around by a nice, enthusiastic US citizen, ex-pentagon, agent Frost... But you can call me AJ...

This was until we got separated after a failed rendezvous in the National Gallery of Classical Art. Sam went off with AJ on a tour of Congress and the Jefferson national congressional library whilst Alec and Jona sensitively waited for Sam, thinking that he probably wouldn't wonder off on his first day. Anyway we re-united later in the day and had a heated discussion about being punctual, about loyalty and things like that.

The
SaluteSaluteSalute

A bit of a stereotypical american pose in front of an iconic American landmark..
Jefferson library by the way is fairly awe-inspiring. It charts the development and pre-eminence of western culture in sculpture, paintings and mosaics. All in a rather American and sensational, perhaps a little hokey way. But nevertheless still pretty 'awesome man'.

For example around the dome of the reading room are pictured 'former' great civilisations upon which the U.S. now stands; Egypt, Judea, Greece, 'The Middle Ages' (strange, I know), Italy, England (not Britain - sorry Scotland), France and America.

Later in the evening we joined a tour of the Adams-Morgan district. A culturally diverse community which apparently was at the heart of the American Civil Rights movement. Everyone else on the tour was quite a bit older than us which was perhaps the reason why we pealed off from the group in search of a beer.

After several rejections, 'I.D. 21 or over' we eventually got served, milking off our British accents. They're really strict about the alcohol thing. We felt like under-age 14 year-olds once again.

The following day we went back to the Mall and visited various dead Presidents. We all really enjoyed the Jefferson memorial. Then over the Potomac to the Arlington cemetery.
Chilling by the lakeChilling by the lakeChilling by the lake

across which lie the graves of dead presidents
While we were there another dead soldier was being brought in on horse-back. Great views from the top. Long walk though. Everything is so big and far apart.

On the way home we passed by the White House which I (Sam) found particularly splendid. Such satisfying classical architecture, it looked both impressive and still house-like. It was a good day.

By the end of the second day we had got to grips with the lay-out of the city as here in D.C they don't use street names they just assign a street a letter of the alphabet, it is very much like a grid reference.

Yesterday we parted, Alec and I down to Richmond to stay with my Uncle Paul and Jona off to Vienna to see his Uncle Jerry. Alec and I had the pleasure of riding the Greyhound welcomed by 'Alphabet J (the driver) who welcomed us onto his 'Big Dog' heading all the way down to Charlotte, Georgia.

The coach was full and other than one other guy we were the only white people on board. En route someone's 'Cell' started ringing and big scary Alphabet J pulled the coach over and laid
A view along the Potomac RiverA view along the Potomac RiverA view along the Potomac River

That is the Washington monument on the left and Jefferson's on the right.
down the law: "Hell no dog, you ridin the big dog with Alphabet J and I will not tolerate phones ringing. You got that got that cos if not you can get off right now n start walkin your ass back home. You got that punk! No turn it off! God Damn...."

We liked Alphabet J... He was authentic. We're living the dream...



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The great manThe great man
The great man

Thomas Jefferson. We learnt that he was a rather good guy, and his statue was rather good too...
Roosevelts fountainsRoosevelts fountains
Roosevelts fountains

Enough to make Charlie Dimmock proud! (Jona thinks he's funny)
Arlingon CemetaryArlingon Cemetary
Arlingon Cemetary

We visited the sight of years of American graves from past conflicts. The Autumn leaves made the whole place look beautiful.. (Photo by Jona ah thankyou)
Lincoln MemorialLincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial

The monument at sun set. It's actually more like a temple inside. It's beautiful.
Reflection WatersReflection Waters
Reflection Waters

The Mall at sun set
The 'Fall'The 'Fall'
The 'Fall'

The trees round here can be breathtaking. We're pretending to be renaissance nimphs by the way.
China china china town town....China china china town town....
China china china town town....

Food's good, big and cheap. Alright...
Lunch in ChinatownLunch in Chinatown
Lunch in Chinatown

$4.50 and comes with tea for the weary traveller - everyone's happy!
Holiday's a commin'...Holiday's a commin'...
Holiday's a commin'...

Land of the free, subject to availability, terms and conditions apply...
Arty folkArty folk
Arty folk

We had just been drenched in rain, which came as a bit of a shock. We ended up in the National Art museum for different reasons - for Al and Jona it was much needed shelter, whilst Sam was their to check out the French potraits!!
HmmmmHmmmm
Hmmmm

Surely not? That can't be original can it?? We were convinced this was but a cheap copy..
The City rushThe City rush
The City rush

Slow shutter speed for the classic city photo - as crisp as was possible without a tripod
Jona and AJJona and AJ
Jona and AJ

A photo of the great man who taught us so much about the US, and its laws and regulations.
AJ or MJ??AJ or MJ??
AJ or MJ??

Just at the end of our stay in central DC Jona had the pleasure of witnessing some fantastic moonwalking from Aaron. Apparently self taught from a dvd - this photo really doesn't convey the magic..


21st November 2006

Brilliant
Brilliant descriptions and photos. Keep up the good work!
21st November 2006

I love this blog!
Fantastic - this blog has given me the best laugh and entertainment for a week and also restored my faith in your excellent powers of communication. I think it's wonderful that your mates waited for you Sam and would like to have been a fly on the wall in ensuing discussion.... x
21st November 2006

....and me!
Keep the witty comments and great photos coming!..........Its been a wet, grey November day here and we needed a laugh or two, and some cheery pics. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your hosts! x
22nd November 2006

From me and Sasha
Hey Alec, glad all is going well for you! Your dad has kept us up to date with as much as possible! Bdo not the same without you! Pictures are great and we will all keep checking regularly for more updates! Amber and Sasha xx
22nd November 2006

hello
hey jona hows the trip going hope your all well and good and having a damn good time dude how does it compare to o2 lol. keep in touch mate if you want email me my address is luciferking@hotmail.co.uk be good to hear from you. well enjoy yourself mate spek to you soon. steve
22nd November 2006

Script writers
If you wrote this blog communally, perhaps you should be considering a career as comedy show script writers. Obviously lots of synergy here. Promising for the rest of the trip.
22nd November 2006

Enjoy reading about your adventures.
Hi Jona You all seem to be having a great time. I enjoy reading about all your exploits and love the photos. Judy
23rd November 2006

Yippee
looks like you're having stacks of fun honey, I wana go travelling! Good Luck and fun times xx caz
24th November 2006

BABES
so you're off!!! everything looks nice, cold though, oh melbourne was a lovely 35 degrees yesterday!! i await the arrival of big al, jona and the samwise...x p.s bring AJ
24th November 2006

Nymphs en les Etas Unis!!!
Mazin Sam and co. Great photos and comments made me laugh aloud when I was by myself!!! I feel relieved that you have such loyal and caring friends who will wait for you sam. Careful with that one. How is uncle Paul and Virginia?? Love you lots and stay safe x x x
25th November 2006

from France
petit bonjour de France !!!!! comment tu vas mon petit alec .sam est avec toi? comment se passe ton voyage? ça me fait très plaisir de voir tes photos!!!!! tu as vraiment de la chance!! gros bisous jt'adore
29th November 2006

hello john looks like u r having a good time. is it better than working wiv us lot lol. missing u.take care speak soon.xx

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 19; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0755s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb