Our Longest Roadtrip So Far (In a day)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
June 25th 2007
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post


To my astonishment we actually got up at the time we said we would, had retrieved the car and had left San Fran before 7am. A record time for us if ever there was one.
After a couple of hours on the road, making good time we allowed ourselves the luxury of stopping off for some breakfast. That dealt with, we pressed on and made it for the entrance to Yosemite National Park by around midday. We paid the 20 dollars entry fee and entered. Here we stopped off at many fantastic points along the way taking photos but always keeping a watchful eye on the time. This was, if any, the day that we desperately needed more hours!!

By 3ish we were nearing the East Side of Yosemite. Here we ate, before beginning the 9000 foot decline back to sea level and out of the park.
With a break for refuelling we continued on for a couple more hours drive before entering the the desolate land that is Death Valley. With another fuel stop, just to be sure, we entered for what would be the 3 plus hour drive through what can be described as no mans land.
Again, we travel in true backpacker style...Again, we travel in true backpacker style...Again, we travel in true backpacker style...

Continuing prove I guess that we haven't roughed it too much whilst away!!


The temperature had been steadily soring by the mile since leaving Yosemite, and it had long gone past the time where we could have the windows open, so it was air con firmly on now.
Driving into Death Valley you enter land where straight roads seem to never end, and the passing of another vehicle is a rare occasion. After an hour along the road, it starts to climb to a fair assent of about 5000 foot. Here there are signs advising you to switch off car air condition in order to prevent possible engine overheating. We looked at the engine coolant gauge and sure enough it was on a steady rise. Well I guess you could hardily blame it, working its way up through a desert when it's 40 plus degrees outside. We turned the air off (the last thing you feel like doing) but thought this would be the sensible option bearing in mind that as we really didn't fancy being stranded out here.

On the decent the temperature reached a whopping 116 degrees which is near 47 degrees Celsius. Here we stepped out of the car to fully appreciate it, and I can honestly say
No sign of Vegas yet - We enter into Death ValleyNo sign of Vegas yet - We enter into Death ValleyNo sign of Vegas yet - We enter into Death Valley

"We've got enough fuel right? Cause this may take some time"!!
Ive never experience heat like it, not dissimilar to being in a sauna at all. And this was at half seven in the evening! I later found out from reading the Rough Guide that it quotes matter of factly, Death Valley being the hottest place on Earth averaging a temperature of a 112 degrees!!!

On the exit of Death Valley we passed the border into Nevada, we would not of known this had we missed the one small sign post indicating the fact. From here it was just a easy 150 miles to the light in the middle of the desert that is Las Vegas.
By 10 pm after 14 hours in the car we arrived at our destination. We drove up the strip and Rob jumped out at various place to check for a good deal on the nights day. Yes that right, being so unorganised we hadn't even booked anywhere yet. This is not totally through being lazy mind, as we always had in our mind that we may not make the journey within one day. But after 650 miles or 1000kms which ever way you want to look at it we did and therefore were there
Officially the Hottest place on Earth according to the Rough Guide Officially the Hottest place on Earth according to the Rough Guide Officially the Hottest place on Earth according to the Rough Guide

Averaging 112 Fahrenheit, which is about 46 degrees Celsius this place unbelievably hot!! Never felt anything like it. It reached 114 degrees when we drove through and that was 7pm at night!!
right on schedule for 4 nights night in Vegas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Yosemite RoadsYosemite Roads
Yosemite Roads

The speak limit through parts Yosemite is as low 25mph. That sure can add to the journey time when your aiming to make Vegas in a day!
Yosemite Lake Yosemite Lake
Yosemite Lake

Probably not the official name, granted
Leaving Yosemite Leaving Yosemite
Leaving Yosemite

We begin the 9000 foot decent back down to sea level
Empty roadsEmpty roads
Empty roads

You can travel a good way before seeing another car along this road. Due to the heat and the high ascents, signs advise you to switch off car air conditioning to prevent overheating. Just what you feel like doing!!


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb