A Hilly San Fran


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Once we had dropped off our bags we all took the short walk down to Union Square which is fairly central in the city. It was Friday afternoon and the place was thriving. We looked round the shops and got back to the hostel for dinner around 7.
That evening we met up with Matt and Dawn as they were also in the same hostel. We did already know this. They had flown up and it was their last night here, before flying to Salt Lake City in the morning.

A sunny Saturday morning and the 4 of us went along with others from the hostel for a walking tour of San Fran. This took us through various streets, including the crooked road. Down to Fisherman Wharf, where we had lunch, up through China town and finished in Union Square. Around 3 hours in all.

In the afternoon we all made the walk to the car for our one free exit/entry from the car park. We drove down through the Golden Gate Park and then over the Golden Gate Bridge taking many photos along the way. I noticed I have tendency to try and take photos of famous
The Alcatraz tour - It's a sell outThe Alcatraz tour - It's a sell outThe Alcatraz tour - It's a sell out

Unlike it's past prisoners, it was a right effort to get onto the Rock rather than off it!!
bridges from every conceivable angle. I did it with the Sydney Harbour bridge, and also took a fair few of this one.

We made it back to the hostel just in time for their 5 dollar dinner. Which I have to add was better than the previous nights. In the evening there was a so called party going on in the basement so we all bought in drinks in from the store over the road.

Now our original Plan was to leave San Fran the next day and take two days driving to Vegas. Based on the fact that it was a far longer journey than what we had already done from LA, plus we wanted to visit Yosemite national park along the way, two days would have been sensible. However we also wanted to go to Alcatraz. Something easier said than done, as getting tickets for the place is no walk in the park.

We thought we'd go there in the morning and be on the road by lunch time. However when we got down to the ticket office the sign said no available till Tuesday, this was Sunday. Un deafed we weighed up the fact that we would be foolish to miss out, and spent the next few hours trying to buy tickets from touts. After what seemed like a lot of effort, we manged to get two tickets for the boat departing at three pm. Kinda threw leaving San Fran that day out the window, but we made a promise to ourselves that we would make the trip in a day by setting off very early the following morning and there fore hitting Vegas when planed.

Alcatraz was cool, and I'm glad we made the effort to get there in the end. I hadn't realised just how close it was to the main land until arriving in San Francisco. When you arrive on the island you are given a headset for an audio tour which lasts roughly an hour. This was pretty good, and not boring as some audio tours can be. Once on the island you can stay as long you like, well not over night obviously, but as long as you want during the day. We spent about 2 hours, by which time we were done, so headed back.

That night we packed up our stuff, tried to get a
The Bush ManThe Bush ManThe Bush Man

This guy was brilliant, such a simple idea. We watched him make so many people jump, and before you think it, no that didn't include us!!
relatively early night and say goodbye to Sophie and Hannah as there were due to fly back home to England from San Fran on Tuesday.

San Fran was cool and due to our short amount of time there, it did kinda feel like a bit of a rush to see the sights we did. Anyway our journey now goes Inland and on to Vegas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The crooked roadThe crooked road
The crooked road

Designed this way because the gradient of the hill was too step for the horses back in the day
San Frans China TownSan Frans China Town
San Frans China Town

Along side New York this is the largest Chinatown outside China
Golden Gate Golden Gate
Golden Gate

Taken with City views to the left
The Cells The Cells
The Cells

I guess I can appreciate hostel beds a little more now!!
Looking back at the city from The RockLooking back at the city from The Rock
Looking back at the city from The Rock

I had always imagined it being further away from the main land than this


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb