The Road to San Francisco - Pacific Highway Number One


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
June 21st 2007
Published: June 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Excellent Coast Line Excellent Coast Line Excellent Coast Line

Views between LA and San Francisco
The next morning we hit the road by 9o'clock and we were out of LA passing the suburbs of Malibu by around 10ish.
We aimed to reach San Fran by the next day, so although it would be a long drive, we had plenty of time to get there.
We stopped for lunch at a supermarket, and ate in the car park. This was easy and meant we wouldn't lose too much road time. Besides it was the first time I had managed to find anything healthy to eat since being in this country. It's a real struggle sometimes. It's just burgers everywhere!

The Pacific highway gets good about half way up to San Fran. During the afternoon we spent time stopping off at the many photo points to take photos obviously, and also take in the views. By 6pm we had all had enough time in the car and decided to find a place to stay for the night. The next town on the map was a medium size place called Monterey, so that would be home for the evening. As with many US towns we were greeted with a array of motels to choose from. We checked a couple of prices and found one that worked out to be10 dollars each so couldn't complain at that.

Hannah had been up rather late the night before, and although awake at the beginning of the journey, she had spent the majority of the afternoon asleep in the back seat, occasionally rising for a stop off view point. Not feeling well in the evening she stayed at the motel while the remaining three of us went over the road to an Italian restaurant for a meal.

Next morning we checked out and continued North. We stopped in Santa Cruz for some lunch and had a look around. By 2pm we were approaching the boarders of San Fran and by 230, we were stuck in the one way system trying to find our hostel. With that found it was time to find a home for the car. This was about five blocks away in a dingy car park. 14 Bucks per day, and you can only go in an out once. Just as well we had little use for the car whist in the city then.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Santa Cruz beach Santa Cruz beach
Santa Cruz beach

Stopped off here for lunch, just an hour south of San Francisco. (Not that this photo represents having lunch in any way at all)
We arrive in San FranWe arrive in San Fran
We arrive in San Fran

Welcome to a world one way streets and no left turns, a place where drivings definitely not the quickest way to get around!


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb