One Cold Day & One Hot Steamy Night / Un Día Gélido y una Noche Caliente


Advertisement
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

San Francisco, Yosemite & Death Valley


Once in San Francisco we rented a room in Fremont, 40 kms (25 miles) from the centre; it was again a room with its own kitchen and TV and made a nice break from camping. The next day we set out to explore the city; it was a beautiful sunny day and it felt lovely and warm, so we jumped on the train wearing shorts and sandals and an additional thin top just in case it cooled down a little later in the day. The first thing we did like tourist that we were, was to queue up for more than half an hour to get onto a classic tram and go up and down the steep streets, hanging off one of the sides as you see in films.

When we got to the harbour, the temperature had dropped several degrees, the sun was still out but there was an arctic wind coming from the sea and we weren't impressed! Apparently San Francisco is well known for having a cold climate, in fact there is a famous quotation, allegedly by Mark Twain (though many dispute it), that says "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". Well, we wish somebody had told us earlier...

Not wanting to walk around shivering, we took a guided tour in an old tram carriage converted into a road-vehicle. It has two open compartments and a closed one, we jumped straight into the closed one hoping to warm up soon. The other tourists decided to play brave and sat in the open compartments, covering themselves with some blankets provided by the company (one for every two persons, such generosity), but it wasn't long before they started shivering and some of them gave up and joined us, teeth chattering and covered in goose pimples.

We crossed the Golden Gate Bridge and stopped for a break and pictures on the other side; it's really cool and we were lucky that it was almost free of cloud (it's often engulfed in fog), but the wind here was so strong and cold it made our eyes water, Maria even had to fight against it simply to walk around, and holding the camera still for a couple of pictures was a real challenge. We were all back on our vehicle before the time was up, our fingers and toes frozen to the bone. Our driver/guide actually said it was an unusually cold day... (not that we hadn't guessed already). So we went back to our room to thaw out and left the sightseeing for another occasion, when we would go better prepared (we were coming back here for our next flight three weeks later anyway).

We left the next day and made our way to Yosemite National Park (California), in the hope to see more black bears. Our hopes were high as we had read somewhere that they had actually become a bit of a pest in the park, visiting car parks and campgrounds in search of food. Interestingly enough, it was the very park ranges that started this problem sometime in the 60s; back then they used to pile up all the rubbish in certain areas and the bears would come out of the woods and rummage through the garbage in search of anything edible. It actually became a tourist attraction, with people gathering near these piles to see the bears"feeding". Trouble is, the bears developed a taste for all things human, not just food but anything that smells, be it face cream or shampoo or tooth paste. By the time the authorities realised what a dangerous activity this was and stopped piling up the rubbish for them, it was too late, the bears had learnt to associate humans with easy food and kept coming back. Sadly, this meant some of the bears had to be put down - they had become a real danger to the public after losing their fear of humans, and relocation wasn't an option as they would always find their way back, or simply find other human settlements.

We were told that the park rangers patrol the campgrounds every night to this day, shooing away any bears that come too close, and signs all over the park warn you about the damage the bears can cause to your property and your person if you fail to lock away all your food and cosmetics. Still, the only bears we saw here were in the pictures of the park's brochure and the ones (of the cuddly toy sort ) in the gift shop, so we're not entirely convinced that they are anything more than a myth fed by the rangers to keep the interest of the tourists alive...

We did see a few deer at least. Another big attraction in the park are the Giant Sequoias, redwoods capable of reaching 80-85 m (262-279 ft) in height and 7 m (23 ft) in diameter. The wood and bark are fire-resistant, and black scars on many healthy, large trees show they have repeatedly survived scorching fires. They can live for more than 2,000 years! They are said to be the largest of all living things, but we later heard the same thing about the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, so we can only guess they meant the former are the largest living things on earth and the later on The Earth.

We also saw beautiful scenery all around, and sadly a massive forest fire in the distance. Not wanting to hang around to see if it would catch up with us, we left the cool green woods of Yosemite for the blistering heat of Death Valley National Park (also in California), the hottest and driest place in the US (it never gets more than 2 inches of rain per year). It is also one of the largest national parks in the country, comprising more than 3.3 million acres of desert wilderness. It also contains the lowest point in North America, the Badwater Basin salt pan (see picture), at 86 metres (282 feet) below sea level.

It acquired the name Death Valley when, in 1849, a group of gold rush pioneers (called "the 49ers") from the mid west entered the valley in search of a shortcut to California, and suffering from thirst and starvation barely survived the journey. Some of them gave up and turned round, and the ones that made it took two months to cross the desert.

The weather forecast on the day we arrived (23rd August) was a maximum temperature of 50 ºC (121 ºF) , and a minimum of 31 ºC (88 ºF). Although close, it wasn't the hottest day of the year; the highest temperatures (to date on that day) had been recorded on 16th July, when the thermometer hit 53 ºC (127 ºF). The lowest temperature had been recorded on 21st January, a chilly 1 ºC (33 ºF). The informative brochure boasted that in 1913 the temperature had reached an all time high of 57ºC (134 ºF), the second highest temperature ever recorded in the world, adding that "only the mighty Sahara Desert managed to top this record by two degrees in 1922" (that happened in Aziziyah, Libya, in case anyone is interested).

We arrived shortly before sunset and the heat was pretty unbearable - as soon as we stepped out of the car it hit us like a hammer. The campground where we stopped for the night had a few air conditioned rooms (yes, in the middle of the desert), but the price was prohibitive so we decided to brave the tent here too. It was difficult to do anything in that heat; the scarce shade of the few trees around us didn't make much of a difference, so we jumped in the car and drove around until the sun was well and truly over the horizon. That thing you learn at school about deserts being really hot during the day but very cold at night is a load of rubbish - or at least it didn't apply here! We just lay there and sweat like a pig in a Swedish sauna. It was easily the stickiest night of our lives.

But with its sand dunes, colourful hills and beautiful salt flats, it was well worth a visit. We had to miss out on a couple of places we would have liked to visit, as they were only accessible by 4x4... and it wasn't like we could visit them on foot. In fact, the same brochure we mentioned above warns you about the dangers, telling you the story of a couple on their honeymoon that decided to visit the sand dunes under the midday sun. She gave up a after a little while after feeling ill, but he wanted to go a bit further, so they agreed to meet back in their room about half an hour later. When the time went by and he hadn't returned, she raised the alarm. They found him unconscious in the dunes, and he died in hospital the same day.

And with this cheerful story we leave you to enjoy the pictures... we're going back to Utah for the third time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Una vez en San Francisco, nos alquilamos una habitación en Fremont, a unos 40 kms del centro; era de nuevo una habitación con cocina propia y TV y agradecimos salir de la tienda de campaña unas noches. Al día siguiente salimos a explorar la ciudad; lucía un sol espléndido y la temperatura era de lo más agradable, así que nos subimos al tren en nuestros pantalones cortos y camisetas de manga corta y un top fino de manga larga atado a la cintura por si acaso refrescaba un poco a la caída de la tarde. Lo primero que hicimos como típicos turistas que éramos fue hacer cola durante más de media hora para subirnos a uno de los clásicos tranvías, y recorrer así las empinadas calles colgando de uno de los lados como se ve en las películas.

Cuando llegamos al puerto, la temperatura pegó un bajón de varios grados, el sol seguía luciendo pero soplaba un viento que ni procedente del polo norte. No nos hizo ni poca de gracia. Al parecer San Francisco es famoso por su clima fro, en realidad hay una frase famosa, atribuida a Mark Twain (aunque algunos lo disputan), que dice “el invierno más frío de mi vida fue un verano que pasé en San Francisco”. Pues mira que bien, ¡ya nos podía haber avisado alguien antes!

No queriendo pasearnos por la ciudad tiritando de frío, nos apuntamos a una visita guiada en un antiguo vagón de tranvía que ha sido adaptado para circular por carretera. Dividido en tres partes, las dos de los extremos estaban expuestas a los elementos, y la del medio estaba totalmente cerrada, así que ya os imagináis a cual nos subimos. Los otros turistas decidieron ir de valientes y se sentaron al fresco, pero las mantitas que te presta la compañía (una para cada dos personas, generosos que son ellos) no tapaban mucho y no tuvimos que esperar mucho a que se nos unieran varios de ellos, con los dientes castañeteando y la piel de gallina.

Cruzamos el famoso puente Golden Gate y al llegar al otro lado hicimos una parada para estirar las piernas y sacar fotos; el puente es toda una chulada y tuvimos la gran suerte de verlo practicamente sin nubes (normalmente está envuelto en niebla), pero el viento aquí soplaba como un jodío huracán y venía tan frío que los ojos nos chorreaban, a mí me vapuleaba de tal manera que me costaba andar, y sujetar la cámara lo bastante firme como para sacar un par de fotos se convirtió en todo un desafío. Ni esperamos a que se nos acabara el tiempo, con varios minutos de adelanto ya nos tenía el conductor a todos de vuelta casi pegándonos por un asiento en el compartamento cerrado, con los dedos de manos y pies como témpanos. El conductor, que hacía las veces de guía, nos dijo que el día era inusualmente frío... (no es que hiciera falta que nos lo dijera, vaya, ya nos lo habíamos figurado). De modo que al fin del tour nos volvimos a nuestra habitación a descongelarnos y dejamos lo de hacer de turista para la próxima ocasión, cuando iríamos mejor preparados (íbamos a volver a San Francisco tres semanas más tarde, para coger nuestro próximo vuelo).

Partimos al día siguiente de camino al Parque Nacional Yosemite (California), con la esperanza de ver más ursus americanus. Y muchas esperanzas que teníamos después de haber leído que los animalillos se han convertido en una pequeña peste en el parque, visitando aparcamientos y campings en busca de comida. Lo curioso del tema es que son los mismos guardaparques quienes empezaron el problema allá por los años 60, cuando solían amontonar la basura en ciertas partes del parque para que los osos buscaran y se comieran cualquier cosa comestible que encontraran. La práctica se hizo tan popular que se convirtió en toda una atracción turística, y la gente se agrupaba cerca de estos montones de basura para ver a los osos "alimentándose". Los problemas empezaron cuando los osos desarrollaron un gusto insaciable por todo lo relacionado con los humanos, no sólo comida sino cualquier cosa que les oliera bien, fuera crema para la cara, champú o pasta de dientes. Para cuando las autoridades se dieron cuenta de lo peligroso de la actividad y dejaron de amontonar la basura, ya era demasiado tarde, los osos habían aprendido a asociar a los humanos con comida fácil y cada vez se volvieron más atrevidos. Tristemente, esto provocó que algunos de ellos tuvieran que ser sacrificados - se habían convertido en una verdadera amenaza para el público después de perder el miedo a los humanos, y reubicarlos no era una solución porque volverían a encontrar su camino de vuelta o simplemente encontrarían otros asentamientos humanos.

Uno de los guardaparques nos dijo que ellos siguen patrullando los campings todas las noches, aullentando a algún que otro oso que se acerca más de la cuenta, y hay carteles por todo el parque advirtiéndote del daño que los osos pueden causar a tu vehículo y tu persona si no sigues las reglas y guardas toda tu comida y tus productos de cosmética fuera de su alcance (preferiblemente en contenedores especiales "a prueba de osos" repartidos por los campings). Y con todo esto, los únicos osos que vimos fueron los de las fotos del folleto del parque y los de la tienda de regalos (de peluche, vamos), de modo que no estamos del todo convencidos que sean nada más que un mito alimentado por los guardas para mantener vivo el interés de los turistas...

Pero al meno vimos un puñado de ciervos. Otra gran atracción en el parque son las Secoyas Gigantes, árboles de madera roja capaces de alcanzar una altura de 80-85 metros y una circunferencia de 7. Su madera es resistente al fuego, y negras cicatrices en la corteza de muchos de ellos, grandes y saludables, son prueba de que han sobrevivido más de un incendio. ¡Pueden vivir más de 2.000 años!. Dicen que son el ser vivo más grande del mundo, pero más tarde oímos lo mismo de la Gran Barrera de Coral en Australia, de modo que suponemos que se referían a que las secoyas son lo más grande sobre la tierra y la Gran Barrera lo más grande sobre La Tierra.

También vimos paisajes increibles por todas partes, y tristemente un gran incendio forestal en la distancia. Sin muchas ganas de quedarnos a ver si nos alcanzaba, dejamos atrás los verdes bosques de Yosemite y nos metimos en el calor achicharrante del Parque Nacional Death Valley (Valle de la Muerte), (también en California), el lugar más caluroso y seco de los EEUU (donde nunca caen más de 5cms de lluvia al año). Es también uno de los parques nacionales más grandes del país, cubriendo más de 3.3 millones de acres (más de 13.000 km2) de puro desierto. También contiene el punto más bajo en Norte América, la Cuenca Badwater (ver foto), a una altitud de 86 metros bajo el nivel del mar.

Fue bautizado con el nombre de Valle de la Muerte cuando, en 1849, un grupo de pioneros de la fiebre del oro (llamados "los del 49") provenientes del medio oeste americano se internaron en el valle en busca de un atajo hacia California, y sufrieron tal deshidratación e inanición que apenas llegaron vivos. Algunos tiraron la toalla y se dieron media vuelta, y los que llegaron al otro lado tardaron dos meses en cruzar el desierto.

Las temperaturas previstas para el día que llegamos (23 de agosto) eran una máxima de 50 ºC y una mínima de 31 ºC. Aunque no le faltó mucho, no fue el día más caluroso del año; la temperatura más alta hasta la fecha se había registrado el 16 de julio, cuando el termómetro alcanzó los 53 ºC. La más baja se registró el 21 de enero, sólo 1 ºC. El folleto informativo alardeaba que en 1913 la temperatura había sido de 57ºC, que resultó ser la segunda temperatura más alta registrada nunca en todo el mundo, añadiendo que “sólo el poderoso Desierto del Sahara había logrado batir ese récord con dos grados más en 1922” (esto pasó en Aziziyah, Libia, por si acaso os interesa a alguno).

Llegamos poco antes del atardecer y el calor era más que insoportable - en cuanto salimos del coche nos pegó una bofetada que nos dejó mareados. En el camping donde paramos a pasar la noche tenían varias habitaciones con aire acondicionado (sí, en mitad del desierto), pero el precio era prohibitivo así que decidimos afrontar el calor en la tienda a ver qué pasaba. Siendo imposible hacer nada con ese calorazo,
DEATH VALLEY: Altitude Signs / Señales de altitudDEATH VALLEY: Altitude Signs / Señales de altitudDEATH VALLEY: Altitude Signs / Señales de altitud

Puerto Towne 4956 pies (1.511 metros); Nivel del Mar; 200 pies (61 metros) bajo el nivel del mar y El Punto Mas Bajo en el Sistema de Autopistas del Estado de California, 242 pies (74 metros) bajo el nivel del mar
ya que ni a la sombra de los pocos árboles que nos rodeaban encontramos alivio, nos metimos en el coche y nos hicimos un tour hasta bien pasada la hora en que el sol se escondió tras el horizonte. Eso que aprendes en el cole de que en el desierto hace mucho calor durante el día pero mucho frío durante la noche es una sarta de mentiras - o al menos aquí no funcionó la formula. Ahí tirados sin mover ni un párpado y aún así sudamos como un cerdo en una sauna sueca. Fue la noche más pegajosa de nuestras vidas.

Pero con sus dunas de arena, sus coloridas colinas y preciosos salares, bien que mereció la pena la visita. Nos quedamos con ganas de visitar un par de rincones pero sólo eran accesibles en 4x4... y no era como para visitarlos a pie. De hecho, el folleto del parque mencionado más arriba te advierte de los peligros contándote la historia de una pareja en su luna de miel que se acercaron a las dunas con todo el calorazo del mediodía. Ella se dio por vencida al rato, pero él quiso continuar un poco más, así que acordaron en verse de vuelta en su habitación en cosa de media hora. Pasado este tiempo y al no haber regresado él, la chica dió la alarma. Le encontraron desmayado en las dunas y murió el mismo día en el hospital.

Y con esta alegre historia os dejamos a que disfrutéis de las fotos... ¡nosotros nos vamos a Utah por tercera vez!



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

DEATH VALLEY: You've gotta be kidding / Estás de guasa, ¿no?DEATH VALLEY: You've gotta be kidding / Estás de guasa, ¿no?
DEATH VALLEY: You've gotta be kidding / Estás de guasa, ¿no?

Oooh you mean overheating the car! ********* "Evite el recalentamiento. Apague el aire acondicionado durante las proximas 10 millas". Aaaah, quieres decir evite el recalentamiento ¡del coche!
DEATH VALLEY: Artist Palette / Paleta del ArtistaDEATH VALLEY: Artist Palette / Paleta del Artista
DEATH VALLEY: Artist Palette / Paleta del Artista

Sales de Hierro producen los rojos, rosas y amarillos. Mica en descomposición produce los verdes. Manganeso produce los morados.


12th February 2007

Death Valley
Isn't it just amazing. When I stepped out of the car the blast of heat was just like when you open the oven door!! When we drove through a running race was going on - with all the participants dressed head to foot in white boiler suits to try and detract the heat. MADNESS!!!

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 21; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb