Mind Boggling Grandness / Grandeza Pasmosa


Advertisement
Published: February 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Zion, Grand Canyon, Slot Canyon


After leaving Death Valley we went back to Southern Utah to visit another highly recommended corner - Zion National Pak. Zion is a Hebrew word that means "refuge". There were a couple of places in the park that we were very keen to visit, but they are only reachable on foot, so we braved the heat and set off on a long walk along a river bed to reach The Subway. You need to buy a permit from the rangers for this walk, as they only allow a small amount of people on the track every day (we guess to help preserve the natural state of the place).

As you can see in the picture, The Subway is part of a canyon shaped into a tube by the forces of nature, really cool. The walk does continue past this point along the narrow gorge; however to get out of it (if you don't want to turn back, but do a loop) you need a rope and some climbing skills, of which we had neither. As it had already taken us 3 hours to get there, we were a bit low on drinking water and we would have had to wade through neck-deep water to continue (see picture), we decided that was as good a time as any to go back to the tent.

The next day we took the park's tour bus (private vehicles are not allowed past a certain point) and went for mini-walks around a few of the stops to the different viewpoints. But the informative poster at the end of the line caught our eye and we decided to explore a little bit further - we had to get our feet wet for this one as the walk followed the course of a river trapped between the canyon's walls. We were actually surprised at the amount of people who got wet with us! It was actually quite good fun.

At times we got more than our feet wet (see picture of Maria below), and the water was not particularly warm! In fact it was icy cold and we could feel our lower limbs going numb, but it was so hot outside that once past the initial shock it was actually quite refreshing. Still, we're glad that we kept our balance despite the slippery rocks under our feet and we didn't go under, particularly Maria who was the one carrying the camera - she did take a couple of tumbles but miraculously managed to keep her balance.

It is an impressive walk (certainly "different"!) and it goes on for miles, we turned round after an hour or so though. The only problem with these walks is that you have to be very aware of the weather conditions before setting off, as even if it's dry in the canyon, rain water from further afield could come rushing down and you'd be trapped between the vertical walls. There was hardly any risk for us as we went during the driest time of the year, but the park's officials are quick to tell you about the many people who have drowned this way.

Our next stop was probably the most famous of all: The Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona. At 443 kms (277 miles) long (that's just the part that falls within the park's boundaries, the Colorado River is actually 2,330 kms (1,450 miles) long), the parts that you can visit by car are surprisingly few. We first visited the North Rim, 2,400 mtrs (8000 ft) high, which is a more remote area than the South Rim (300 mtrs / 1,000 ft lower). So remote that it only has one access road, and as soon as it gets blocked with the first snows, the park closes to the public until the following spring.

We did little more than drive to the different viewpoints and admire the views for a few minutes before rushing back to the car to escape the sweltering heat. With 40 ºC (100+ ºF) outside and little shade, not many people ventured to go very far on foot when we were there (in fact, we didn't see anybody go anywhere beyond the viewing points). Which is a shame, because we reckon the best way to really appreciate the sheer vastness of the place is by descending into the canyon and seing it from the bottom up.

As it were, just staring into the distance from the top of the rim didn't arise any major exhilaration inside us; we had expected to be blown away by it, but we actually felt rather blasé. This lack of emotion left us a bit perplexed and disappointed, were we getting travel-weary again, or were we just a pair of weirdoes?. It was a real relief to read the first paragraph of the description given by the Rough Guide book we had bought, which says "Although almost five million people come to see the Grand Canyon of the Colorado every year, it seems to remain beyond the grasp of the human imagination. No photograph, no set of statistics, can prepare you for such vastnesss. At more than one mile deep, it's an inconceivable abyss. (...). Somehow it's so impassive, so remote (...), many visitors are left feeling peculiarly flat." Phew! So we're not alone then!

Don't get us wrong, we did think the place was incredible, but like the book says it is practically impossible to grasp the enormity of the place. For example, if you look closely at some of the pictures, you will be able to see the Colorado river at the bottom of the canyon. Well, apparently it's a raging torrent where you can go white-water rafting over more than 100 rapids, but it was hard to picture it from where we were, it looked more like a gentle stream to cool your feet in. We probably need to go back in autumn, once the temperatures have dropped quite a few degrees, and do some decent trekking. Not sure about the rafting though, the minimum duration of the trips is 3 days and they cost around $200-250 per day! Curious fact: places on these trips tend to be booked a year in advance! Same goes for the accommodation - at least the lodges with the better views.

The two Rims are separated by a mere 10 miles (as the crow flies), but to get from one to the other by car you need to drive up, across, and down completing a massive 345 km (215 mile) loop, so we split the visit in two and drove to the South Rim a couple of days later. We stopped for a night in the town of Page to visit the nearby Antelope Canyon, better known as Corkscrew Canyon. One quick look at the pictures and you'll see why! Situated on Navajo land, it is really two separate Canyons, Upper (the one you visit) and Lower Antelope. They are basically tunnels inside a rock, which started when rain water seeping through cracks on the top started to erode the sandstone away. After thousands of years, the crack became wide enough to walk through. Rain water and wind continue to erode and shape the sandstone walls into beautiful curves and twists that in places double back on themselves. Some sections are so narrow that you can stretch out your arms and touch both sides.

We booked ourselves on a mid-day tour so we could witness a special sight: when the sun is at its highest point, it shines inside the canyon through a slot, sending a beam of light into the tunnel. We had seen a few pictures of the phenomenon and it looked so pretty we were quite looking forward to it. When our Navajo guides drove us to the entrance, the sun was shining bright. We walked to the other end of the canyon and as we were walking back to enjoy the show, a big fat cloud had managed to reach us and it started to pelt it down. Literally. We made our way to the car, which was an open-back truck, and got peppered with hailstones the size of genetically modified peas. And with a ferocious wind blowing and the driver trying to get us back to our cars at racing speed, the ride was a considerably painful experience! We
ZION: Temple of Sinawava Walk / Paseo del Templo de SinawavaZION: Temple of Sinawava Walk / Paseo del Templo de SinawavaZION: Temple of Sinawava Walk / Paseo del Templo de Sinawava

"Sinawava" means Coyote in Paiute (Indian tribe) ********* "Sinawava" significa Coyote en Payute (tribu india)
all got back not just soaked to the bone, but covered in bruises. Well, thank you for nothing, rain god! Could have waited half an hour! Ah well. Should have bought a postcard!

We then drove to the Grand Canyon's South Rim the following day and did pretty much the same as in the North Rim - that is, we drove from one viewpoint to the next, jumped out for a quick look and a picture, and ran back to the car to escape the heat. After so much driving and so many nights in the tent over 2 months, we were actually quite looking forward to our week in the apartment we had been conned into renting (mentioned a few blogs ago), so we made our way to Las Vegas to enjoy a bit of luxury. It's a hot tub and a few million light bulbs next!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tras dejar El Valle de la Muerte, regresamos al sur de Utah a visitar otro rincón que nos habían recomendado varias veces - el Parque Nacional Zion. Zion es una palabra hebrea que significa "refugio". Hay un par de sitios en el parque que nos apetecía visitar, a
ZION: The Campsite / El CampingZION: The Campsite / El CampingZION: The Campsite / El Camping

This enormous wagon was a common sight in campsites anywhere we went ********* Este tipo de vehículo gigantesco era de lo más común en los campings dondequiera que fuimos
los que sólo se puede llegar a pie, así que nos enfrentamos al calor y nos fuimos de marcha siguiendo el curso de un río hasta llegar a un lugar conocido como The Subway (El Metro). Para hacer el paseo necesitas comprar un permiso en la oficina de los guardaparques, ya que sólo permiten un número limitado de gente cada día (suponemos que para preservar los más posible el estado natural del lugar).

Como podéis ver en la foto, El Metro es parte de un cañón al que las fuerzas de la naturaleza han modelado en forma de tubo, muy chulo. El paseo continúa más allá de este punto a lo largo de un estrecho desfiladero; pero para salir de éste (si no quieres darte media vuelta sino hacer un circulo), necesitas una cuerda y ciertas aptitudes para la escalada, y nosotros carecíamos de ambas cosas. Como ya habíamos tardado 3 horas en llegar hasta allí, nos habíamos bebido más de la mitad del agua que llevábamos, y nos habríamos tenido que meter hasta el cuello en una poza de agua de agua para continuar (ver foto), decidimos que este era tan buen sitio como cualquier otro para dar la vuelta y regresar a la tienda.

Al día siguiente nos subimos al bus turístico del parque (a los vehículos privados no se les permite ir muy lejos) y sólo dimos varios mini-paseos alrededor de algunas de las paradas y miradores. Pero un poster informativo al final de la línea despertó nuestro interés y decidimos ir a explorar un poco más allá de la esquina . En este paseo tuvimos que mojarnos los pies ya que seguía el curso de un río atrapado entre las paredes de un cañón. ¡La verdad es que nos sorprendió la cantidad de gente que decidió mojarse con nosotros! Muy divertido.

A veces tuvimos que mojarnos algo más que los pies (como véis en mi foto más abajo), y el agua no estaba calentita precisamente. Más bien congelada, hasta el punto que podíamos sentir cómo nuestros miembros inferiores se nos entumecían, pero hacía tanto calor que una vez pasado el "shock" inicial la verdad es que se agradecía. Aún así, nos alegramos de no haber perdido el equilibrio a pesar de las escurridizas rocas bajo nuestros pies, ya que no nos apetecía darnos el chapuzón completo; yo en particular, que era la que llevaba la cámara - aunque pegué un par de patinazos y estuve pero que a puntito, milagrosamente logré permanecer vertical.

El paseo la verdad es que es impresionante (y desde luego que "diferente"), y continúa durante varios kilómetros, pero nosotros nos dimos la vuelta después de una hora o así. El único problema con estos paseos es que tienes que estar súper pendiente del tiempo, y enterarte de las condiciones antes de salir, ya que aunque no esté lloviendo en el mismo cañón, una tormenta que se desencadene a muchos kilómetros de distancia podría enviar un torrente de agua por el cañón y te verías atrapado entre las verticales paredes. No es que nosotros corriéramos mucho riesgo pues fuimos durante la temporada más seca del año, pero aún así los empleados del parque no dudan en hablarte de todas las personas que se han ahogado de esta manera.

Nuestra próxima parada fue lo que es posiblemente el lugar más famoso de todos: el Parque Nacional del Gran Cañón del Colorado en Arizona. Con 443 kms de longitud (y eso es sólo la parte dentro de los límites del parque, la longitud total del río Colorado es de unos 2.330 kms), es sorprendente los pocos sitios que se pueden visitar en coche. Primero fuimos al Borde Norte, de 2,400 mtrs de altura, que es un área más remota que el Borde Sur (300 mtrs más bajo). Tan remota que sólo tiene una carretera de acceso, y en cuanto se bloquea con las primeras nieves se cierra el parque al público hasta la primavera.

Lo cierto es que no hicimos mucho más que conducir de un mirador a otro y admirar las vistas durante unos minutos antes de volver apresuradamente al coche para escapar del bochorno. Con temperaturas superando los 40 ºC y muy poquita sombra, no mucha gente se aventuró más allá de los miradores (en realidad, no vimos a nadie que lo hiciera). Lo que es una pena, porque estamos convencidos de que la mejor manera de apreciar la enormidad del lugar es bajando al fondo del cañón y observándolo de abajo a arriba.

Pero como lo vimos nosotros, simplemente dejando que se nos perdiera la vista en la distancia desde la cima, la verdad es que no nos provocó ningún sentimiento de júbilo; habíamos esperado que nos dejara pasmados y sin habla, pero en realidad nos quedamos algo fríos. Esta falta de emoción y entusiasmo nos dejó algo confusos y decepcionados, ¿nos estamos empezando a cansar del viaje otra vez? ¿o simplemente éramos unos raritos? Fue un gran alivio leer el primer párrafo de la guía de viaje que nos habíamos comprado (el "Rough Guide") que decía algo así como "aunque son casi 5 millones de personas las que vienen a ver el Gran Cañón del Colorado cada año, éste parece permanecer fuera del alcance de la imaginación humana. No hay fotografía, ni serie de estadísticas, que pueda prepararte para semejante enormidad. Con una profundidad de más de dos kilómetros, es un abismo inconcebible. (...). En cierta manera es tan impasivo, tan remoto (...), que muchos visitantes se quedan extrañamente indiferentes". ¡Puuufff, menos mal! ¡Así que no estamos sólos!

No nos malentendáis, no es que no nos gustara, el sitio sí nos pareció increíble, pero como dice el libro es prácticamente imposible asimilar la inmensidad del lugar. Por ejemplo, si os fijáis en algunas de las fotos podréis ver el río Colorado al fondo del cañón. Bien, al parecer es un corriente impetuosa en la que puedes hacer rafting en más de 100 rápidos, pero era difícil de imaginar, ya que desde donde estábamos más bien parecía un riachuelo en el que refrescarte los pies. Probablemente necesitamos volver en otoño, una vez la temperatura haya descendido varios grados, y hacer alguna marcha decente. Aunque no estamos igual de convencidos acerca del rafting, ya que las excursiones duran un mínimo de 3 días y cuestan ¡unos $200-250 por día! Curiosidad: las plazas en estas excursiones suelen agotadarse ¡con un año de adelanto! Y lo mismo pasa con el alojamiento, al menos las cabañas con las mejores vistas.

Los dos Bordes están separados por tan sólo 16 kilómetros (en línea recta), pero para llegar de uno al otro tienes que ir hacia arriba, a la derecha, y hacia abajo, completando un enorme círculo de 345 km de longitud, así que partimos la visita en dos y no fuimos al BordeSur hasta dos días más tarde. Primero paramos en un lugar llamado Page para visitar el cercano Cañón del Antílope, mejor conocido como el Cañón del Sacacorchos. ¡Un vistazo rápido a las fotos y entenderéis por qué! Situado en territorio navajo, en realidad son dos cañones diferentes, el Antílope Superior (el que se visita) y el Antílope Inferior. Son simplemente túneles dentro de una roca, que empezaron a formarse cuando la lluvia que se colaba entre las grietas en su parte superior empezó a erosionar y comerse la arenisca de la que está compuesta la roca. Después de miles de años, la grieta se hizo lo bastante ancha como para poder atravesar la roca de un extremo a otro. Tanto la lluvia como el viento continúan erosionando las paredes, que con sus curvas caprichosas giran y se retuercen sobre sí mismas. Algunas secciones del túnel son tan estrechas que puedes extender los brazos y tocar ambos lados.

Nos habíamos apuntado a la visita del medio día, ya que queríamos disfrutar de un espéctaculo especial: cuando el sol está en su punto más alto, su luz se cuela por uno de los agujeros enviando un rayo de luz dentro del tunel. Habíamos visto varias fotos del fenómeno, y parecía tan bonito que íbamos entusiasmados y con muchas ganas de verlo. Cuando nuestros guías (indios navajo) nos llevaron hasta la entrada, brillaba un sol espléndido. Cruzamos al otro lado del cañón y según veníamos de regreso para disfrutar del espectáculo solar, una nube gorda y gris se había apresurado a alcanzarnos y en cuestión de un minuto estaban cayendo chuzos de punta, así que tuvimos que echar una carrerilla al vehículo que nos había llevado hasta allí, un camión descubierto. Para más inri, no eran gotas lo que caían, sino unos pedruscos de granizo del tamaño de garbanzos inflados y modificados genéticamente. Con un viento feroz que se había levantado, y el conductor yendo a una velocidad de espanto para que llegáramos a nuestros coches cubiertos lo antes posible, el trayecto se convirtió en una experiencia considerablemente dolorosa. Llegamos al aparcamiento no sólo calados hasta la médula, sino cubiertos de cardenales. ¡Gracias por nada,dios de la lluvia! ¡Ya podías haber esperado media hora, majete! En fín. ¡Deberíamos haber comprado una postal!

Al día siguiente nos fuimos al Borde Sur del Gran Cañón e hicimos más o menos lo mismo que en el Borde Norte. O sea, condujimos de un mirador a otro, nos bajamos del coche un par de minutos a admirar las vistas y sacar un par de fotos, y nos volvimos a meter al coche corriendo para escapar del bochorno. Después de tanta paliza de coche y tantas noches de dormir en la tienda, la verdad es que estábamos deseando pasar una semana en el apartamento ese que nos vendieron con mentiras (y que mencionamos hacia varios blogs), de modo que salimos con dirección a Las Vegas a disfrutar del lujo. ¡Seguiremos en el próximo blog con un jacuzzi personal y varios millones de bombillas!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 34


Advertisement



6th April 2007

Learning
Hi, I happened on your site while looking for snakes in Zion. I live near Saint George, Utah and have easy access to all the canyons. I enjoyed your views, your descriptions and thoughts and learned about a few places that I have not visited yet, as in, Corkscrew Canyon. I wanted to continue reading but it turned into another language. Thank you for a well written article about your trip to our beautiful spot in the world.

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 10; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb