"Grand" day out


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Flagstaff
May 1st 2010
Published: May 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Visitor centreVisitor centreVisitor centre

Take note of the writing
We managed to get in a whole 10 hours sleep last night! Must have needed it!

We grabbed a quick coffee, loaded up the car and made the one hour journey to the Grand Canyon, we entered via the south which is a first for us as we normally come in the other end. We took in the sights from the various view points along the 30 mile stretch. Liz & Andy both thought it was totally breathtaking.

All 3 of them - yes, even Liz, hiked a tiny way down. She did keep telling Niggall and Andy off everytime they went to wander off near the edge. There are literally no barriers, its safety at your own risk! Think we all ended up with a bit of altitude sickness! We left via the east exit and down towards Flagstaff, which would be our base for the night. Again we didn't have any accommadation booked, so drove through, managed to find a Holiday Inn, which pleased Liz - Free tea, no dodgy locks and slightly warmer! We all freshened up and headed out for the evening.

We eventually found a sports bar showing the Mayweather v Mosley fight (not sure if you got this in the UK) it was a huge fight due to both being Americans, and was taking place at the MGM grand. We were routing for Mayweather but the rest of the bar was practically following Mosley! As we drove through the town to the bar we passed a load of protestors against racism, so in his wisdom Niggall bibbed his horn to a response of cheers not quite knowing why!

The fight atmosphere was brilliant, they even sang the national anthem, although not as good as the rodeo a couple of years back! It went the whole 12 rounds and Mayweather won. Yay!!

Andy drove the car back as he had been on soft drinks - I got volunteered to give directions for some reason, and quite brilliantly took Andy down a one way street that was an exit to a motorway the wrong way!! - fantastic!! I soon got him turned round and into the hotel in one piece!!!

We got ourselves a drink and hit the sack after a very long day!




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Grand ViewpointGrand Viewpoint
Grand Viewpoint

Nige and Andy hiking down
Liz climbing a treeLiz climbing a tree
Liz climbing a tree

At the Grand Canyon
Posers!!!Posers!!!
Posers!!!

On the bonnet of the mustang, with the Grand Canyon back drop
LizLiz
Liz

In her own little world, taking in the sights
Desert viewDesert view
Desert view

Much to my disgust I have been forced to put some pictures of me on here!!
Liz chilling!Liz chilling!
Liz chilling!

Moran viewpoint
Insert own comments _________!!Insert own comments _________!!
Insert own comments _________!!

Here he was attempting to take the back drop at the highest point of the Grand Canyon7430ft
Our last stop at the Grand Canyon!Our last stop at the Grand Canyon!
Our last stop at the Grand Canyon!

Trying to get a more in depth view
San Francisco peaksSan Francisco peaks
San Francisco peaks

On Route 89 towards Flagstaff
Andy - drivingAndy - driving
Andy - driving

Ooops - My lack of concentration taking this photo, took him down a one way road!!


2nd May 2010

And you say my directions are bad.... need I say anymore! :-) x

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb