Viva Mexico!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
August 28th 2011
Published: September 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

So, after over 5 years, here we are again, back on the road. It’s a strange feeling, one of excitement, anxiety, and in some ways fear, but mostly it’s a wonder of the unknown, and that’s a feeling I really quite enjoy. Sadly, we have had to say goodbye to our family, friends, and jobs, and it’s now time to strap on the backpack, and start seeing some more of this crazy, beautiful world we live in.

First stop is Mexico City located in Central Mexico which I have heard nothing but bad things about from people…. ‘’It’s dangerous, it’s dirty, taxi and street robberies are the norm there, and ‘aint that where everyone shoots each other over drugs?’’. I hate to disappoint, but we saw no truth to any of these outrageous, and unfair claims!. In fact, on reading it back, take out the taxi robberies, and sounds alot more like my beloved South London than Mexico City!

The truth is, I’m sure stuff like that goes on as it says so in the Lonely Planet, and who can argue with the travel bible itself?. But, we just tried to use a bit of common sense and caution, and we came out there in one piece!. We actually both really liked MC. We stayed at the NH Centro Histrico which was quite a nice hotel right in the thick of the Central Historical district as its name suggests. We booked this one from home just to have a place to tell the taxi driver to take us to after hearing all of the talk of MC, but we got there no problems at all. It was a bit of a treat for us this one, being our first stop on the trip, and had a bed that was as wide as I am tall, so we really were living the high life here compared to what we will be staying in on the way no doubt!!.
We spent our first day walking around the huge Zocalo, which is the main square in the Centro Historico, and taking a few snaps of the buildings around there. We also went to Templa Mayor, which is a huge newly excavated site from Aztec times, which was really cool to. After this we decided to take in a bus tour of the city which again proved this to be a nice, clean city with some amazing architecture to boot.

Day 2, and visited the Castillo de Chapaltepec which I would recommend to all, as it’s a great park with an amazing castle / museum. Unfortunately none of the stuff to read was in English, and was therefore another stark reminder that our Spanish needs to improve, and fast!. Whilst in the park, we found out why you shouldn’t have your Malaria tablet on an empty stomach, as within 30 mins, like clockwork we both felt sick as a dog, and quickly went to the local amenities to hug the toilet!.

Well that’s just a quick update to get me started, and to get the ball rolling…no major issues so far, and feeling great about being lazy people spending our time sightseeing, eating and drinking.
Hope you continue reading these blogs whether your friends or family from home, or if you have just come across this by chance.

Next stop Oaxaca City.... (pronounced Wahaca)

Love and hugs M&D


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



3rd September 2011

Mexico
Mexico in 2007 it was the tenth the most visited country in the world with 21.4 million international arrivals so you started your year long expedition the right way I can only say that i am jealous this is a understatement you have fun take more pictures they live a lifetime Syd
3rd September 2011

Mexico
Glad you both arrived safe and sound. Keep up with the blog as it's very interesting! Best wishes from Chris and your envious former work buddies at Barclays!
3rd September 2011

Jealousy!!
Sitting reading your first blog from a very soggy tent in North Wales and am still insanely jealous!!! Have a fab time!!
3rd September 2011

Ahoy sailor
yo dude, looks like an awesome trip you've got planned out. I'll defo be checking your blog to see how your getting along. Have a blinder mate. Rich
4th September 2011

Glad to hear you've arrived safe and sound x love hearing about your adventures, keep them coming. Take care both and lots of fun!! Xx
5th September 2011

Glad all is well, enjoyed reading your blog and am looking forward to the next update. Love you both very much Mum Xxxx

Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb