Off to Oaxaca City by Bus.....what could go wrong?


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Oaxaca
August 30th 2011
Published: September 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Next stop, Oaxaca City (pronounced Wahaca), so we decided to get one of Mexico’s famous buses that we had heard so much about. Unlike the reports on Mexico city, the Mexican buses got some rave reviews, and we were looking forward to getting on one of these bad boys to see what all the fuss was about. . We decided to hop on an ADO GL which is the middle grade bus to see what they were like, and I have to say, they were much better than I expected. The bus was actually ore comfortable, and had more leg room than our seats on our BA flight getting g here!. Even before boarding, the bus terminal was immaculate and clean. The buses themselves boasted TV’s, free coffee, toilets, and a shed load of room even for my lanky legs. The chairs also go ALL the way back, so if you have no one behind you, you can actually sleep!...something I’m not hugely familiar with on a bus. These buses are awesome! This was going to be great!.
The euphoria continued when we were driving through the lush green mountains on route to Oaxaca, as the scenery was amazing, and the weather beautiful. I love these buses!. Nothing could spoil this for me.

Clunk, Bang, Clunk!!…. Oh dear……

It sounded like something had fallen off the front of the bus as there was an almighty thud from the engine! .The bus driver therefore slowly pulls into the hard shoulder gets out, and takes a look. After looking at the engine for a few minutes, I assumed he would take the stance of most men…scratch his chin, take another quick look, and then promptly call the AA. Forgetting for a moment I wasn’t in England, the driver did something I wasn’t expecting. He reached into the baggage storage, pulled out some tools, rolls up the shirt sleeves and started going to work on the engine?. Sceptical, I assumed he would emerge later on, grease stained and no further forward, but a little over an hour later, he jumps back on, rolls his sleeves back down, and starts her back up….good as new!
I was back to being in love with Mexican buses again!

We arrived at Oaxaca City in the evening and chilled out for the rest of the evening ready to explore the city in the morning
Next morning, we got up, had out free breakfast which was tortillas and chilli sauce (strange, but did the trick), and then headed into town. It has a great vibe Oaxaca city, and after a few hours roaming the streets and markets and taking it all in, we decided to have a spot of lunch and a beer or two (our first beers since being here to…after 4 days!). We did this in the main square of Oaxaca City in the Zocalo which was great for people watching and to test our Spanish…. ‘No Gracias’ was the extent of our local tongue and was mainly directed towards the local hawkers selling bookmarks, clothes and the like… we were getting better already!
Day 2, we went on a day trip to Monte Alban which really is an amazing place. I purposely try not to read too much about the places we visit before we do, and make a point of trying not to look at any pictures, just so I will be surprised by the things we see on the way. This proved a great shout this time, as Monte Alban is pretty breath-taking on first glance, especially from on top of the largest ruin. From there we heading out to see a Monestry, and also to see Black pottery being made and sold, as well as some great wood carving. All part of a great trip that took my Mezcal drinking viginity too… This stuff is really popular here, probably more so than Tequilla as far as I can make out, and is pretty mental stuff…..a few more of these are to be had whilst in Mexico is a given!
Next stop…To the beach!. We are off to Puerto Escondido on the Southern coast of Mexico for some Sun, sand and relaxation….wonder if the bus journey will live up to the last one?.........

Love and hugs M&D


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



7th September 2011

Top Notch
I loved reading your blog I wish I could Write and spell like you, its like reading something out of a shiny mag well done keep it up your trip on the bus must of been worrying breaking down in basildon would be a worry for me but breaking down out there amassing keep up blogs love it Syd & Jackie
8th September 2011

Sounds like you are having a great time it all sound very interesting and lovely to see these places. XX

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb