Background: A land of vast distances and rich natural resources, Canada became a self-governing dominion in 1867 while retaining ties to the British crown. Economically and technologically the nation has developed in parallel with the US, its neighbor to the south across an unfortified border. Canada's paramount political problem is meeting public demands for quality improvements in health care and education services after a decade of budget cuts. The issue of reconciling Quebec's francophone heritage with the majority anglophone Canadian population has moved to the back burner in recent years; support for separatism abated after the Quebec government's referendum on independence failed to pass in October of 1995.
Photos from Vernon
Blogs from Vernon
Latest Blogs from Vernon
- January 30th 2014 You're not going to believe this ....
by Words: 937 Photos: 10
- September 15th 2013 Off to Vernon
by Words: 1431 Photos: 18
- June 1st 2012 jour 13
by Words: 312 Photos: 7
- June 28th 2010 Last few days in Canada
by Words: 934 Photos: 8
- June 7th 2010 23 Hours...
by Words: 100 Photos: 0
- January 15th 2010 3 Days and counting!
by Words: 258 Photos: 0
- August 27th 2009 Day 3 - Winthrop, WA to Vernon, BC
by Words: 589 Photos: 9
- July 21st 2009 Vernon - lying in a verdant, irrigated valley
by Words: 140 Photos: 0
- June 20th 2009 Mabel Lake and last view of Vernon
by Words: 499 Photos: 2
- June 16th 2009 Time in Vernon
by Words: 277 Photos: 1
- June 4th 2009 Another day, another Country
by Words: 390 Photos: 7
- February 2nd 2009 seeing white
by Words: 106 Photos: 7
- August 6th 2008 Leaving the Okanagan
by Words: 239 Photos: 2
- July 6th 2008 Contiki Day 10 - Calgary to Vernon
by Words: 317 Photos: 2