Rocky Mountain High


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
July 24th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

DAY 11\240 - Tuesday, July 24, 2007



Today we got up bright and early (5:30) and joined the 'Rocky Mountaineer', a train that would take us over the rocky mountains, from Calgary to Vancouver in two days. This was an amazing trip, that took us past some breathtaking scenary, that no photo i took could do justice. For hours, for as far as the eye could see in all directions, the landscape was awe inspiring. I cannot even begin to describe it, you will all just have to do the trip yourselves. Furthermore the food that we received today was the best i've ever received in transit. The only down side was the consecutive length of time that we were sitting on the train - I could have nearly flown back to Australia in the 14 hours we spent travelling today. We should have stopped at least once, and been allowed to hop off the train and stretch our legs - i know that many (not least dad) would have appreciated a smoke stop. The train could have easily made up the time by going a little faster.

One cool thing we got to see from a distance was where they filmed the movie 'Cool Runnings', which was set at the Calgary olympic games.

The train stopped at a place called Kamloops for the night. We got in around 7:30, and after another mishap with our rooms was rectified, we went to a dinner\show. Both the dinner and the show were ok without being awesome - dinner was fairly nice but i was really hanging out for a big steak, especially after my bite sized teaser last night - and the show about lumberjacks was entertaining at times but a little corny. They had two guys 'competing' for the attention of this lass (turned referee) in all the daily activities of a lumberjack. It was not suprising when the competition ended up in a tie, so that the whole audience, half assigned to cheer for each lumberjack, went home happy.

We then went back to the hotel, and after a quick explore of the casino (where i was almost tempted to put down some money and play this hold em esque game), i went to bed. It was certainly strange how much sitting and looking out the window all day took it out of me.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb