Jordan - Wadi Rum


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » South » Wadi Rum
May 5th 2008
Published: May 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bedouin Women in traditional garb and Key Perth GreenBedouin Women in traditional garb and Key Perth GreenBedouin Women in traditional garb and Key Perth Green

I think Mr. Green needs some more clothing.
Beautiful Beautiful Wadi Rum:

Wadi Rum (Arabic: وادي رم) is a valley cut into the sandstone and granite rock in southwest Jordan. It is the largest wadi in Jordan.

This was my trip favorite. Possibly the most single beautiful location i've been to. Peaceful and untouched by the modern world (unlike Petra which was too touristy and commercialized in my opinion).
If you like a vacation with adventure, where everything is not spoonfed to you, then i highly recommend over-nighting in a Bedouin camp in Wadi Rum.

Before I go on about thoughts on Wadi Rum, let me preface it with this.

To enjoy Wadi Rum for its beauty, please consider these recommendations:

A) Keep your party small (one or two ppl max; this is one of those cleansing experiences).

B) Definitly overnight in the desert. (and not in the Wadi Rum Village, but out in the middle of the desert). Sunset Camp (expensive) or Aodeh’s bedouin camp (just as good but cheaper option) has a really good setup that is actually in the middle of desert (12km away from the village). The cheaper option of staying in the village and doing a make-believe "overnight desert camp" is just not gonna cut it. (I negotiated a deal with a 4WD transport to/back the bedouin camp, a huge bedouin tent all to myself, dinner, breakfast, bathroom/shower (in the middle of the desert!) and a 4 hr. jeep tour thru most of the Wadi Rum desert for 55JD (about $75USD).

C) Enjoy Wadi Rum during sensible hours...(Do yourself a favor, dont bother going outside between noon-4pm). Go take a nap. You are in the middle of the desert...and its hot! Wake up early from your Bedouin camp and go enjoy a quiet sunrise walk...they place is empty and peaceful.


This is an excellent way of seeing the traditional Bedouin daily life.

If you are a fan of the movie, Lawrence of Arabia, (which i am), this place is an extra treat for you...this place filled with little highlights from T.E. Lawrence's life in the desert. I definitly recommend Netflix-ing the movie before you go.

In the West, Wadi Rum may be best known for its connection with British officer T. E. Lawrence, who based his operations here during the Arab Revolt of 1917-18.

The highest peak in Jordan is south of Rum close to the Saudi border, named Jebel um Adaami (1840m high). On a clear day, it is possible to see the Red Sea and the Saudi border from the top. It is now a very popular trek from Rum village.






Its not cheap. So be prepared to shell out some money and for the most mind-cleansing experience of your life.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Umm Fruth Rock BridgeUmm Fruth Rock Bridge
Umm Fruth Rock Bridge

Spectacular natural rock arch, with great views
Umm Fruth Rock BridgeUmm Fruth Rock Bridge
Umm Fruth Rock Bridge

The view from above back down to the jeep. This is during our Jeep tour.
Ancient Nabatean Rock InscriptionsAncient Nabatean Rock Inscriptions
Ancient Nabatean Rock Inscriptions

at Anfashieh. Camel caravan inscriptions.
Making Sweet Bedouin tea with desert brushMaking Sweet Bedouin tea with desert brush
Making Sweet Bedouin tea with desert brush

just the way they made it 2000 years ago.


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb