Jordan - Aqaba / Dead Sea


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » South » Aqaba
May 6th 2008
Published: May 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Jordan - Aqaba

Aqaba (Arabic: العقبة‎, Al-ʻAqabah) is a coastal town in the far south of Jordan. The town is best known today as a scuba diving/ snorkeling and beach resort.

Aqaba has been an inhabited settlement since 4000 BC profiting from its strategic location at the junction of trading routes between Asia, Africa, and Europe.

"We have taken Aqaba!" (you wouldn't get it if you've never seen 'Lawrence of Arabia'):

During World War I, the occupying Ottoman forces were forced to withdraw from the town after a raid led by T.E. Lawrence and the Arab forces of Sharif Hussein in 1917, making the territory part of the Kingdom of Hejaz, under the rule of Prince Faisal. The capture of Aqaba helped open supply lines from Egypt up to Arab and British forces afield further north in Transjordan and Palestine, and more importantly alleviated a threat of a Turkish offensive onto the strategically important Suez Canal.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Dead SeaDead Sea
Dead Sea

or what used to be Dead Sea....the water is retracting fast because of overusage of water from its source - the jordan river.
Sunset by the Dead SeaSunset by the Dead Sea
Sunset by the Dead Sea

I highly recommend a drive on the Dead Sea Hwy around sunset. And also to drive to the top of Mt. Nebo to look over the Dead Sea and into Israel (West Bank) across the 'pond.'


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb