Day 3- Havdala in Nahariah


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Haifa District
February 14th 2009
Published: February 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

"Nahariah was not on the Map""Nahariah was not on the Map""Nahariah was not on the Map"

When their rabbi visited Closter, he loved Temple Beth El but was surprised that the map at Beth Or stopped at Haifa
We travelled north to Nahariah, our sister congregation. It was much smaller than the temple we visited in Haifa, but we were greeted very enthusiatically by the temple leaders and their families. We donated the children books that we had brought with us and they were appreciated.

The half hour leading to the end of Shabbat was a great musical experience. Cantor Rica sang with the accompaniment of their very musical rabbi. Then all the past and present members of Rinat Beth El brought down the house with some selections. Then their rabbi sang a beautiful song backed by his organ playing that was very emotional.

We learned alot about the temple at Nahariah and how they have growth against all odds. They are starting to strive due to an influx of immigants from Argentina. The kids from both congregations played a rowdy game of "Dodge Orange" outside, proving that some concepts are universal with kids across the world.

We are off to Jerusalem early tomorrow morning.

- Caroline & Jeff


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



14th February 2009

Nahariya
Tonight we really felt the struggle of a typical smaller Israel Reform congregation. It was a contrast to the Haifa congregation which is the 3rd largest in Israel. Our Nahariya sister congregation hangs together by a thread and we talked frankly about life within range of the Ketushas. We sang songs of hope and peace (yeah Rinat Beth El!) and linked arms as we sang Shabbat out with Havdala. More later when I can get a better internet connection. Love to all! Rica
15th February 2009

Finally Jerusalem!
What a glorious and wonderfully full day we had today on our tour! Starting in Stafet we learned about Jewish Mystisism through art by touring the artist colony there and hearing a talk by a local Kabalah artist--a very spiritual and wise man. We wandered the streets and shops sampling middle eastern pizza and looking at art and jewlery. We then arrived in the Golan Heights and though windy were able to see remarkable views of Syria and walk into bunkers underground there. The highlight for me was watching my son Richard blow his new shofar with cantor leading him and her son david, daughter rebekkah and husband Charles all blowing shofars together as we overlooked the lite up city of Jerusalem! What a moment--not next year but today in Jerusalem!! Beautiful....just beautiful.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb