Day 4-Tzdat, the Golan Heights, Entering Jeruselam


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
February 15th 2009
Published: February 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today started bright and early as we checked out of the hotel in Haifa and headed for Tzdat, one of the 4 holiest cities for Jews and the home of the Kabbalah. Our first stop was to an art gallery for a eye-opening introduction to the beliefs of the Kabbalah by a local artist who was originally from Michigan. We were all enthralled bt this artist including the kids. Rica was in tears by how much David was moved and Jordan was inspired to put his impressions into poetry. We all learned about the "awesomeness" of the world that he has been able to see thru his years of studying. This also led to a mini-buying spree of his artwork.

After a quick visit to a local temple, we had some free time to explore. The group stumbled upon a local shop serving a unique style of pizza with eastern bread and spices served as a wrap. Even the pickiest among us enjoyed this snack. We suggested that he come to New Jersey, but he was not willing to leave Israel but would willing to teach his secrets for a share of the profits.

We made a quick stop at the Naot outlet where the Latners were able to meet up with a friend who was also visiting from New Jersey. There was a sprint to find, fix and purchase shoes in our tight time frame.

Then it was off to the Golan Heights with a discussion of the Six-Day and Yom Kippur wars. We walked thru a former outpost and we got a better understanding of how close Israel is to many of its threats. We could see Syria and the fence that starts the buffer zone.

We had a long drive to get to Jerusalem that was broken up by a stop at a food court and a rest stop that turned into a camel riding session.

We got to an overlook of Jerusalem, said some prayers and the Timmans and Richard blew shofars to announce our arrival. Next Year at Jersusalem was now this year.

We wrapped up the evening with a group dinner near the hotel. The kids left early to celebrate among themselves, the older ones watching after the younger ones. The adults enjoyed the evening a little longer and we are looking forward to see the Wall on the old city in the morning.

- Caroline & Jeff


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



16th February 2009

Great blog as usual! The Kabbalah artist is the one we visited back in 2005 -- Andrea H. LOVES his work!!!! Glad you got to meet him!
18th February 2009

Enjoying your Trip through your eyes!
Dear Friends, I am so enjoying the blog of your trip. I got such a kick out of seeing Jeff on a camel. It was moving to see all the shofar blowers and the group pictures as well. I have never been to Israel and am truly enjoying seeing it through your eyes. Enjoy! Love to all, Debby S. P.S. The blog web address is up on the website!
27th February 2009

Hey Jordan!
So nu, how about posting some of your poetry?

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb