Fort William to Gairlochy...or Spean Bridge


Advertisement
Europe
August 12th 2012
Published: August 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The SignThe SignThe Sign

The Starting Point!
Day two started with mean man Sam knocking on our door at 8:45 letting us know we were 15 minutes late to breakfast. So we start rushing around, girl style, and knock, knock, knock"! Mean man Sam is back, this time not happy at all!! On our way down, Lady Wheezy said she felt like she was at her parents house and was getting in trouble. The breakfast was fabulous though, and the rooms great, shower was good, but man, Mean Man Sam needs to take a chill pill. I would still recommend the place, just know what that rules are rules and not to be broken when visiting with mean man Sam at Lawriestone in Ft. William.

Off to walk we go, after stopping at a couple of souvenir shops and a grocery store, we find the sign telling us, we are beginning the 79 mile trek to Inverness. So cool!

Scotland has absolutely stunning countryside. The friendliest people around live here. Outside of (MMS) we haven't met anyone who didn't offer a smile, a sweet hello and some even offer a wee bit of dram!

On the way we meet some fabulous people, really cute dogs
5&55&55&5

Our first set of push up/Sit ups
and even a gypsy family! After what seemed like hours and almost getting yelled at in Gaelic for playing on a live railroad, we find the famous Neptune's Staircase. The story is pretty cool, but I'll leave that to you to research. It is impressive! But very hard to get a good picture because of how it is layed out.

The next part of the walk is pretty cool. We follow the Caledonian Canal all the way to Gairlochy. The words to describe the scenery are very hard to find but the phrase "Once you visit Scotland, it will always be in your heart" pops in my head on more than one occasion. To keep us entertained on the walk, I have a mini speaker attached to my backpack and we're playing music from our iPads. (By the way, nice song choices EJ). We also try and come up with stupid games, like saying hello in a different accent or language every time we pass someone or my stupid idea of every time we stop, we have to do 5 push ups and 5 sit ups (which happened way more than I thought it would!!)

When we finally hit our destination, or wait, what we thought was our destination, we are so excited! There are a couple of guys hanging out, maybe working, and we ask them to take our picture and I threw in the ask for a wee bit o'whiskey, but they just laughed at me, complimented our choice in music, and sent us on our way.

At this point we are at the beginning of Gairlochy but are staying in Spaen Bridge. Our dossier states that "Since this is a relatively easy section of the route, you may want to continue your walk into Spean Bridge, about 3 miles". We decide to walk and holy crap! I don't know who wrote the dossier but, easy it is not! It is all hill and more hill and then just a wee bit of hill for at least 2 miles. After lots of cussing, mumbling and pure hell, we hit the top of the hill and are rewarded with a beautiful WW2 war memorial, then downhill we go for the last mile or so of our journey. We decided the "easy part of the journey" on the dossier was referring to the canal walk, not the walk to Spean Bridge, it was a killer!

We walk into our B&B for the night, Distant Hills (yes, it definitely was!!) and are greater by the awaiting, ever smiling, Paul. What a lovely man. We sign in and are showed to our rooms, given a menu for breakfast and our take away lunch and left alone. The room is awesome! We have a little amenity kit of hot chocolate, coffee, tea and the most amazing cookie, marshmallow, chocolate covered thing ever!

We check in and head to dinner at the Old Station Restaurant. On the way I talk the girls into ordering dessert first, something I always wanted to do, and they enthusiastically oblige. The dessert, 7 glasses of whiskey, 1 glass of wine, steak with peppercorn sauce and local salmon are amazing! A 6 thumbs up from all of us on this place! On the way home we stop at a little store and load up on those yummy marshmallow things and Ginger gets a Ginger Beer, which turned out to be really, really good! Back in the room, we shower and head to bed. Lady Alida, being the lady that she is, is treated to her our suite this evening and Christine and I settle in for some much needed girl talk and a quick Skype with her man.

So tomorrow starts another day, Gairlochy to South Laggan. The story continues my friends...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Don't do it!Don't do it!
Don't do it!

Ginger and the talking train track
UploadedFile9UploadedFile9
UploadedFile9

First Aide Station
UploadedFile14UploadedFile14
UploadedFile14

WWII War Memorial at Spean Bridge
UploadedFile15UploadedFile15
UploadedFile15

Ginger and Particularly Pleasant Peter


13th August 2012

You know that Sam is starting piss me off. Seven glasses of whiskey and a long hike, I bet you, wheezy and ninja slept good and woke up late. Good luck on day 2 hiking.
13th August 2012

You all look like you're having so much fun!! Thanks for sharing the stories, they are the highlight of my emails:-) Love you sis!
13th August 2012

Wish you were here Seastar!!
13th August 2012

Wish you were here Seastar!!
13th August 2012

Did you girls practice your staff forms?
You all have walking sticks?? Are you really that old or are you just disquising your staffs? You might need them if you run into Nessie or some mean whiskey drinkers in trying to protect Lady Wheezie's honor.
13th August 2012

On the first day Mr. Dickwood, I would say that they were staffs in hiding. Today, I will acquiesce to the old age comment. Read day two walking blog.
13th August 2012
5&5

Thats it girl chin, chest, knot of your belt to the floor, smell that grass. Dont take a pic with Alida in it if shes wearing that jersey. I almost didnt want to comment on this pic. lol
13th August 2012
The nutty squirrels

NIce picture, looks beautiful out there but why you have to make Ninja kneel down and make her shorter than she already is. oh you gals have some great legs, CHOW! lol
13th August 2012
Hello...Cap't Jack?

WOW, what happened? Is that the Black Pearl? You must in Davey Jones locker, wheres Captain Jack Sparrow? Love the scenary.
13th August 2012
Gypsy kids

Great Kathi, you used Scotish magic and turned back time on Lady Wheezy and Ninja. NIce pic with the water in the background, makes me want to go swimming instead of typing in this hot dojo.
13th August 2012

Training
Sounds like all that training you guys did for this trip is paying off!
13th August 2012

Yep, You betcha! lol
14th August 2012
5&5

Whats up with that?
Looks like your the only one doing pushups.
14th August 2012
UploadedFile10

Really???
So many possibilites so little time.
14th August 2012
UploadedFile10

OMG i seriously dont know what think right now. (click next photo)
14th August 2012

Alot of comments I forgot to sign in so you would know it was me. Im sure you knew it was me based on my ridiculous sense of humor. Good luck on day 3.
14th August 2012
UploadedFile15

!!!
"Look who I found trying to steal me Lucky Charms!"
14th August 2012
Gypsy kids

Fairy dust
Can you bring back some of that fairy dust and put it on my knee! It wants to be young again too.
14th August 2012
Gypsy kids

Whatchu Talkin About Willis?
You told me the knee was on the mend!!! What gives Mr. dickwood, the Mrs needs to know!!
14th August 2012
UploadedFile9

Got your tickets?
Look at the guns on Kathi!!!! Your biceps look huge. Are you about to do CPR on Lady Wheez or what? Must be hungover from all the fairy dust.
14th August 2012
UploadedFile9

Gun Show
Wow, they do look slightly butchy! lol

Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb