Europe - Eire, the Balkans and Italy - different yet desirable!


Advertisement
Europe
December 31st 2019
Published: February 1st 2020
Edit Blog Post

In DublinIn DublinIn Dublin

Outside an iconic Dublin pub where we enjoyed cheese, beer, Irish music and a warm, friendly atmosphere.
As 2019 is done and dusted, it struck me that I had not published a blog for over two years, primarily due to my new love of Vlogging. I have been contacted by many readers inquiring about my apparent silence. Actually, I thought that I would embed video into my blogs and so cover both aspects but I encountered a technical challenge when many reported that they were unable to view the video, causing me to shy away from repeating that approach. I have tried to get help from Travelblog's administrators but without any luck so far.

Therefore, this is a modest attempt to get back into placing my thoughts on paper.

Many of you have received videos of our recent trip to Europe which included Ireland, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia Herzegovina, Slovenia and Italy. The vacation was five weeks of discovery. With the exception of Italy which we had visited twice before, all the other countries were new to us.

Ireland

We had always wanted to visit the Emerald Isle, Eire, and while it was a short four-day trip only, thus restricting wide-spread exploration, we were sufficiently impressed to warrant a future and longer visit. Beautiful scenery,
Jeanette overlooks Dubrovnik, Croatia.Jeanette overlooks Dubrovnik, Croatia.Jeanette overlooks Dubrovnik, Croatia.

That followed a superb traditional meal that was almost too much for four. The restaurant even allowed me to video their kitchen where I interviewed the manager.
from the Cliffs of Moher in the west to verdant undulating hills of green and pastured livestock, traversed by narrow country roads, I found it a most enchanting place. Quaint bed and breakfast lodgings, full Irish breakfasts and a warm populace added to the allure of this fascinating island country. There was only one area where the country failed to delivery on my expectations. In all the travelling, I came across only one "flaming redhead", for which it is reputed, noticeable as she sang the lead in her band, strumming her guitar as they belted out a popular Rolling Stones number in Galway.

Croatia

This is a country which evoked mixed responses from my companions and me. Decidedly, it's most popular city, Dubrovnik (locals noticeably pronounce it "Du-brov-nee" was stunningly beautiful both during the day and at night. Looking down on the city at night from the mountain-top restaurant Konoba Dubrava, it is not difficult to understand why it is one of the most popular destinations in Europe. Recently made more famous because of the series "Game of Thrones", it is a magnet for visitors by air, land and sea. It is difficult to plan a visit here without having to consider the possible hordes of cruise ship visitors which on a busy day, choke off the pleasure of strolling the old city in peace. Apparently and fortunately, cruise ships have now been restricted to a maximum of two in any one day.

Dubrovnik is certainly worth a visit although I have concluded that generally speaking, their tourist industry is ill prepared to efficiently handle the volume of people they now receive.

Zagreb and Split

Both of these cities have their own old world charm and are worth visiting.

Plitvice Lakes

This site deserves a few hours of one's time to thoroughly immerse into the spectacular beauty of nature at it's glorious best. Water cascades from several levels, producing waterfalls that surprise visitors with their exceptional appeal. An easy hike, this should be a must visit.

Croatia can boast of immensely intriguing history, both ancient and modern, in which Hungary, Austria, and Rome played major roles. However, its bitter struggles with the Ottoman Empire for two centuries before being incorporated in Yugoslavia, have left an indelible impact on its culture. It has experienced its modern independence only since 1991.

Montenegro
Restaurant on Croatia's seaside.Restaurant on Croatia's seaside.Restaurant on Croatia's seaside.

Here the manager holds two fresh lobsters for which they are well known. Of course, Gee stands away from them since she is terribly allergic. Thank God, I am not.

A small country with a lot going for it, especially Kotor, tucked away in one of the most attractive bays I have visited, shares the impact of the Ottomans with their neighbours. The people are most hospitable and lovely. One of the simple but memorable experiences we had in Kotor gave us an insight into the nature of the people. We had just checked into our apartment and ordered some mouth-watering grilled seabass from a nearby restaurant to be picked up a few hours later. In customary Canadian style, we offered to pay ahead of time but were immediately declined, telling us that we could pay when we picked up the meal later, which we did. Which restaurant in Canada would do that for total strangers? It was a throwback in time. It was a delightful meal sitting in the apartment as we savoured its succulence overlooking the bay, while lights from shoreline homes cast their reflections on the calm waters.

Bosnia Herzegovina

We were impressed with the topography of this land. Driving through dense cloud and rain, we traversed the steep mountain range that separates them from Montenegro, we descended into a tranquility that seemed in contradiction to the years of ethnic conflict that tore this country and its neighbours apart. First the breakup of Yugoslavia then the religious and ethnic battles that followed, leaving scars that still linger. Thankfully, reconciliation has taken root, although the risk of tensions once again emerging should never be discounted. In a sense, the country side still lays bare the obvious economic gap between this region and that of its Western counterparts.

The city of Mostar is an appealing place to contemplate all that this country has endured and yet leaving us with a sense of hope for the future. Everyone remembers, but the focus seems to be on a future that is more inclusive and positive, exemplified by the reconstruction of it's iconic bridge.

Ljubljana, capital of Slovenia.

In my view, this city presents an understated elegance in a country that is certainly worth a longer visit than the mere taste we enjoyed. Clearly modern, its population is well educated with many of it's citizens able to speak several languages fluently. It seems to represent a crossroads between a dark past and a bright tomorrow.

The people just want to get on with life. In the
Australian guitarist in the heart of Zagreb.Australian guitarist in the heart of Zagreb.Australian guitarist in the heart of Zagreb.

He buskers but is also paid by the local businesses.
words of a taxi driver we used "We don't want any country to interfere with our affairs. Just leave us alone to run our own country." I care not to share which countries he specifically mentioned.

We were there on a Sunday and it was a most relaxing experience, sitting in a restaurant at river's edge, enjoying the feeling that we were really appreciated as visitors.

Italy

The following words are inadequate to capture the essence of our visit to this widely beloved country by everyone who comes here.

Our trip took us from one extremity in the north and east to almost the boot in the south, enjoying and absorbing much of the culture, wine, food, scenery and ambience that only Italy can deliver. For me personally, the only missing piece was not been able to enjoy the great Andre Bocelli in concert, under the Tuscan skies or at ocean's edge in a magical place like Portofino. He simply did not have a scheduled concert anywhere in Italy at that time.

What can I say about this wonderfully magnetic country that has not been said by millions the years over? Can I add anything more to the essence of feeling that most visitors have for this giant of history, culture, architecture and cuisine where their people define the huge attraction this country offers, in their own unique manner? They answer is simply 'No, I can't', because it's all true. There is something for everyone in Italy.

I will add, that driving ourselves gave us a great opportunity to see and thoroughly enjoy Italy through a prism that offered a wide scope, bringing areas that were sometimes off the beaten track, into focus. I encourage visitors to explore, explore, explore! Enjoying family made wine and bread dipped in homemade olive oil, accompanied by traditional community music, was one very memorable experience in Umbria in the valley below Assisi.

Much is made of the Amalfi coast and we thoroughly enjoyed it but there is something uniquely quaint about the Cinque Terre in the Italian Riviera where we spent time during a previous trip. If it is an either or decision, I humbly suggest that the Cinque Terre wins, although the Amalfi has its own appeal. If time is limited, visit Sorento.

There is so much to do and enjoy in Italy but since
Lake Como.Lake Como.Lake Como.

Lunch at the nearby restaurant had a great cuisine to complement the stunning views.
this was my third vacation there, here is what I suggest to anyone who is yet to visit. After you have done the absolutely mandatory calls at Rome, Venice, Pompeii, Pisa and the others, delve into the heart of the country and get a taste of the magnificent hill towns and hamlets meeting the people along the way.

Those experiences are unforgettable for me.

Please visit my Youtube channel - Whirl-traveller


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Approaching Amalfi.Approaching Amalfi.
Approaching Amalfi.

A short stop here on the way to Positano.
Colona, just outside Rome.Colona, just outside Rome.
Colona, just outside Rome.

Stopping here for a night on our way to Salerno, we enjoyed some award winning pizza, washed down with wine from the area as we sat on our apartment's veranda, gazing at a neighbouring hill town.
Friendly cop in Assisi. Friendly cop in Assisi.
Friendly cop in Assisi.

He let me park in a restricted area for over two hours while we took in downtown Assisi.
Christ the Redeemer, Maratea.Christ the Redeemer, Maratea.
Christ the Redeemer, Maratea.

The precipitous drive from our resort nearby was not for the faint of heart.
What a platter!What a platter!
What a platter!

A meal to die for in Assisi.
Hilltop Kingdom of San Marino.Hilltop Kingdom of San Marino.
Hilltop Kingdom of San Marino.

An amazing place with stunning 360 degree views.
Grilled Seabass in Kotor, Montenegro.Grilled Seabass in Kotor, Montenegro.
Grilled Seabass in Kotor, Montenegro.

Just looking at this picture again, I salivate.
Famous bridge in Mostar, Bosnia Herzegovina.Famous bridge in Mostar, Bosnia Herzegovina.
Famous bridge in Mostar, Bosnia Herzegovina.

Destroyed during the last war, its reconstruction stands as a monument to reconciliation.
The Last Supper, Milan.The Last Supper, Milan.
The Last Supper, Milan.

We were fortunate to obtain tickets months ahead as demand is very high and viewing time restricted. Michael Angelo's masterpiece seen close up, is a must.
Small community band near Assisi.Small community band near Assisi.
Small community band near Assisi.

Our visit to this small farm was unplanned but wonderfully warm. We loved their locally produced wine which we thoroughly enjoyed later at our apartment.
Rivello, southern Italy.Rivello, southern Italy.
Rivello, southern Italy.

One of the most picturesgue hill towns.


1st February 2020

Enjoyable.
So loved reading about your and Jeanette,s adventures. Love and have a Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year.
1st February 2020

Enjoyable.
So loved reading about your and Jeanette,s adventures. Love and have a Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year.
1st February 2020

Enjoyable.
So loved reading about your and Jeanette,s adventures. Love and have a Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year.
1st February 2020

I missed your blogs...
welcome back. Your blog brought back so many memories! It was nice of you not to complain about the hoards of tourists.
1st February 2020

Grateful
Thank you for your encouraging response. Frankly, I have missed blogging so this one was a modest restart. There is so much material that I left out but I kept it brief because there were so many countries involved.
3rd February 2020

Italy
is my favorite country also. It has so much to offer...
3rd February 2020

Italy
is my favorite country also. It has so much to offer...
6th February 2020

Thanks
I would say that Italy is ONE of my favourites among a host of others. I find it almost impossible to single out one particular country over another because each one offers something unique that appeals to me. Having said that, I have to state that Jerusalem and Israel hold a very special place in my heart for reasons that no other place can offer.
5th February 2020

Beautiful.
Love following your adventures.
5th February 2020

Thanks
So lovely to know you read my blogs.
5th February 2020

Great Writer
You are to be admired for being able to put together such a comprehensive review of your trip
6th February 2020

Thanks
Your comment is very encouraging.
6th February 2020
What a platter!

Awesome work
Your blog is very easy to read...enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb