Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from South Yorkshire
Blogs from South Yorkshire
Latest Blogs from South Yorkshire
- April 8th 2013 Lindholme Gomde
by Words: 67 Photos: 11
- March 24th 2013 Off Evie and Abigail go!
by Words: 40 Photos: 2
- March 23rd 2013 Snow snow in Sri Lanka
by Words: 33 Photos: 1
- March 20th 2013 getting sorted
by Words: 55 Photos: 0
- November 6th 2012 The Luxury Gap
by Words: 1019 Photos: 31
- October 20th 2012 Back in Sheffield
by Words: 621 Photos: 0
- October 8th 2012 Heading out today (maybe)
by Words: 258 Photos: 0
- October 4th 2012 Nearly time to head off on the road
by Words: 205 Photos: 0
- October 3rd 2012 Sheffield Day 1
by Words: 141 Photos: 0
- September 27th 2012 The great adventure awaits
by Words: 238 Photos: 0
- September 9th 2012 Chocolate and Vikings!
by Words: 142 Photos: 8
- September 8th 2012 Bosworth Field
by Words: 259 Photos: 16
- August 14th 2012 Yorkshire 1 - A wedding and hillsides of heather
by Words: 1737 Photos: 7
- July 14th 2012 Planning has commenced!
by Words: 34 Photos: 0
- April 29th 2012 Barnsley - blooming marvellous!
by Words: 717 Photos: 20
- April 3rd 2012 Four months until the new country, new city and new job!
by Words: 95 Photos: 0
- March 5th 2012 Days 2 & 3: Tea time and Free time!
by Words: 1117 Photos: 0
- March 3rd 2012 Day 1: Peanut Butter
by Words: 961 Photos: 0
- January 14th 2012 A beautiful Cycle - Sheffield - England - anywhere
by Words: 288 Photos: 10
- October 23rd 2011 Sheffield - Oh I have been wondering....
by Words: 433 Photos: 2