Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Maidstone
Blogs from Maidstone
Latest Blogs from Maidstone
- December 17th 2012 2 days to go!!!
by Words: 36 Photos: 0
- August 23rd 2011 food, glorious food...
by Words: 24 Photos: 2
- August 15th 2011 Oh, today I don't feel like doing anything, I just wanna lay in my bed...
by Words: 18 Photos: 1
- August 14th 2011 In the Jungle the mighty jungle
by Words: 27 Photos: 1
- August 13th 2011 All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go, I'm standing here outside your door
by Words: 33 Photos: 1
- August 12th 2011 It's the Final Countdown
by Words: 11 Photos: 1
- July 19th 2010 Ayoba!
by Words: 1768 Photos: 15
- February 5th 2010 Preparations (and Mrs Smith)
by Words: 809 Photos: 0
- February 2nd 2010 Testing Times
by Words: 7 Photos: 1
- August 23rd 2009 Family weekend 2009
by Words: 329 Photos: 14
- November 14th 2008 Winding Down and Heading Back
by Words: 396 Photos: 2
- October 20th 2008 Leeds Castle
by Words: 17 Photos: 14
- October 12th 2008 Etihad, Maidstone and a Pint of Cider
by Words: 419 Photos: 0
- August 21st 2008 Home for a quick visit!
by Words: 484 Photos: 19
- July 6th 2008 First Week
by Words: 215 Photos: 42
- July 1st 2008 Maidstone, I'm here!
by Words: 506 Photos: 0
- June 2nd 2008 On the home straight now......nearly there.
by Words: 97 Photos: 0
- April 19th 2008 quick hello from Kent
by Words: 364 Photos: 11
- January 14th 2008 Two days to go!!!!!!
by Words: 133 Photos: 0
- January 13th 2008 Wonderful Weekend of Walking.
by Words: 489 Photos: 52