Etten Leur to England


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 27th 2011
Published: July 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We said again Good Bye to Jola and Hugo. The weather was dry sort of and our Tom Tom brought us to the Calais Ferry, where we arrived early. Not the least, because it was Sunday, no convoy of trucks and ...... the sky was clear and sunny. An unbelievable sight after the gloomy rain in Holland. Yes, did the man at the ticket office say. You are early and you can go on the next ferry. That was a saving of time of about one and a half hour. That helps if you have to get used to driving on the left side again. The Tom Tom was set to an address we punched in before. But he was not quite right. Tom could not find it, so it became a bit of , that's close. It is unbelievable how many trucks, cars, buses,caravans and people go on the ferry. And a bit of a worry, at least for Liz, I don't worry about stuff like that, unlike when travelling on a plane, where you sometimes even have to take your shoes off, no control what so ever. There could be ten bombs i n any car. We could not believe how slack this was. Arriving in England, we took of course the wrong turn and had to back track a few minutes but this time we did it legal. Tom took us nearly to the door. He could not find the street, when we punched it in. But nevertheless, he took us nearly to our place of destination. An old stately English Hotel. At night we had a meal in the restaurant and we could have thought that we were sitting at the table of our old neighbour. Very English, very old Australian. We received advise of how to catch the train to London. We easily could walk it we were told. We tried it out and lucky we did. It would have been a walk alright. After walking for so 20 minutes we gave up and returned to the Hotel. We would have needed more than an hour to reach it. That we found out the next day when we took the car to the station. The train took an hour to reach Victoria station. Coming of the train we landed in a stream of people that knew where to go, except us two. We went into a coffee place at the station, to examen the situation. As soon as we were orientated we bought tickets for the open bus. Like in Barcelona that bus tours the city. It took us to all the places we wanted to see, we stepped out at some to have a better look and to take photos. That also made us walk a lot. St James park we think we saw three times, You only can pick up the bus at certain places. Special at Buckingham palace, there we had a problem finding the right place. Not to worry, we saw lots of people sunbathing and animals playing in the water was also nice. We even saw a lot of squirrels, very cute. A long walk took us to the right place and Victoria station. An hour in the train brought us home very late.We were so happy that the car was standing on the parking lot. We could not think to walk all this way to the Hotel. We now know how to do it all tomorrow, when we will go again to London to see more of the chaotic traffic of buses,cars, motor bikes push bikes and masses of people that have to find their way to where ever they have to go. Just a warning,. If you have plans to go to England, start saving for it is very expensive. Tomorrow we hope to tell you about our second day in London Bye for now Liz and Allan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb