London and a visit to the Tower


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
July 29th 2011
Published: July 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On the second day we were a lot wiser. You learn quickly and after arriving at Victoria station, we planned to use the Metro. A lot cheaper. We bought two tickets for 12.40 and for that we could travel the whole day on the underground. Our main object was the Tower of London to see and hear all the stories connected with it. So many things that happened there. Many people were killed, a lot of them innocent. Not that hard to find your way on to the metro. A few times we had to ask. Soon we arrived at the side. We followed the masses of people that went into the same direction. We had no idea that it would be that busy. We bought our tickets at Victoria station so we marched straight into the compound. We hired a walky- talky that explained it very well what there was to see. Slowly you move, or are moved by the crowd through all the towers. There are a few and they all have an explanation of what they were used for. Some of them have very gruesome stories to tell, the inscriptions into the walls tell all about it. Here and there, while moving through the corridors, you had a nice view on the Tower bridge. We had the opportunity to see the Crown Jewels. You had to stand in an enormous line of people. All were waiting to get in. Close to the entrance that we finally reached, was a sign saying No photos or video was allowed. That was a pity. The row continued inside till you came to two thick steel doors that let you into the chamber. There we saw all the riches and glory of the Royals. The crowns were set out, laid in with diamants , rubies and other precious stones, o.a. the cullinar and the kohinor. Most of the day had already gone, when we found time to visit the cafe and had something to eat. The coffee was undrinkable and we took it back to have a stronger coffee taste. It was time for the return to Larkfield. We noticed to travel we picked the busiest time of the day. Extremely lucky we found a seat, standing in the Metro is not advisable. The chance to lose something will be great. Back in Larkfield we discovered a very nice place to eat. The building is from 1312. The inside is beautiful restored. A mixture of people, Italians, Polish serve you an excellent meal. We never mention a business by name but this deserves one. it is called Wealden Hall at Larkfield. If in the neighbourhood well worth a visit. All in all we had a very nice day, again a lot of walking but the next few days will be driving. A visit to the heart of England is on the program. Till than bye for now Liz & Allan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb