Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Edale
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Edale
Latest Blogs from Edale
- May 6th 2013 Twin Peaks
by Words: 2427 Photos: 25
- November 6th 2012 Day Four
by Words: 2574 Photos: 0
- November 5th 2012 Day Three
by Words: 1572 Photos: 1
- November 4th 2012 Day Two
by Words: 1776 Photos: 1
- November 3rd 2012 Day One: Edale to Kinder Scout
by Words: 2080 Photos: 1
- November 2nd 2012 Prep Day
by Words: 318 Photos: 1
- October 29th 2012 A Pennine Way Journey ... CLOUD PENNINE
by Words: 688 Photos: 1
- April 15th 2012 Hiking through Sheep Fields and Sliding Down Mountain Sides in England's Peak District
by Words: 474 Photos: 29
- April 26th 2011 Camping In Freak Weather!!!
by Words: 210 Photos: 53
- July 4th 2010 When did hills turn bouncy?
by Words: 476 Photos: 34
- April 27th 2008 Day 1 - Edale to Crowden (16 miles) Our Pennine Way adventure from England into Scotland starts today...
by Words: 810 Photos: 23
- April 26th 2008 Hooray - we've arrived in Edale, Derbyshire! Our adventure will begin tomorrow....
by Words: 376 Photos: 5
- August 21st 2006 Kedleston Hall
by Words: 89 Photos: 1
- June 8th 2006 I Found Middle Earth!!!
by Words: 842 Photos: 12