Madrid, city of lovers


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
June 3rd 2006
Published: June 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tapas in a dungeonTapas in a dungeonTapas in a dungeon

Delicious tapas!
Madrid is the city of lovers! Every corner, bench, bus stop, train station, cafe, restaurant...couples are holding hands, kissing, gazing into each others eyes. This is the thing I first notice about Madrid.

Madrid is busy, busy, busy! It's like Barcelona but more fast-paced and not as clean. Also it's BIG! A much bigger area than Barcelona.

Our hotel is across the river from the main city. Around the hotel are some shops, cafes, bars and restaurants. From our hotel room we have a view of a Kebab shop. Kebab shops are just everywhere in Europe!

We arrived last night, got ready, then went to an optional dinner. We had tapas in a underground dungeon-like restaurant. Delicious food and great night! Calamari, prosciutto, tortilla espanola (my fave), fries and unlimited amounts of Sangria, beer and soft drinks. Dinner ended at 10pm and when we leave the sun is just setting!!! Before going home we have a short night city tour. It's Friday night so everyone is out partying! Madrid is definitely the place to party! Apparently people work from 9-2, have siesta from 2-4, and work again from 4-8pm. After work they have dinner at 10, hit the
Bernabeu StadiumBernabeu StadiumBernabeu Stadium

Where Real Madrid plays
pubs at 12am, clubs at 2am and go home between 4-6. The busiest time for taxis is 4-6am!!!!

This morning Todd and I slept in a bit and had a late breakfast. Bacon, eggs, sausages, cereal, OJ...the best brekkie yet! We took the Metro (train) into the city and did a little shopping. I went to Lefties which is the outlet store of my new fave store Zara. I also got some Spanish leather boots at Sol. Todd bought a jersey from the Real Madrid store. We also loaded up on souvenirs. Souvenir shopping is becoming a real addiction!

We jump on the Metro back to the hotel for the city tour. Rushed, we ran out of time to get lunch so popped into the bakery next door. They can't speak English so I end up choosing an Empanada (which I know is a savoury pork or beef pastry thing). Turns out to be tuna or salmon or something and is horrible!

The tour took us to the main sites of Madrid. Most of which we had seen the night before or ran into in the morning. We did get to the see the Real Madrid (Bernabeu) stadium which is a bit out of the city.

After the city tour Todd, Luisa, Michael, Pam, Florise and I stayed back in the city to shop and have dinner. We go straight to Plaza de Mayor and Sol to eat and shop. It is packed! We forgot that the Madrilinos (Madrid locals) are out to party for Saturday night. The streets are packed and it's only 5pm! We eat another Tortilla Espanola (like a thick potato omelette) and have some drinks at Plaza de Mayor then make our way to Sol to shop. The boys go their own way and the girls browse from shop to shop. As I had done most my shopping this morning, I am not really after anything in particular. Of course I do buy a couple things anyways!

Florise and Pam leave us for the hotel and leave the young ones to have dinner. We end up going back to the neighbourhood of our hotel and have dinner there. Tapas again - calamari, prawns, fries. It's a beautiful warm night and everyone is out. Doesn't anyone work or rest around here?!?


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb