Background: Spain's powerful world empire of the 16th and 17th centuries ultimately yielded command of the seas to England. Subsequent failure to embrace the mercantile and industrial revolutions caused the country to fall behind Britain, France, and Germany in economic and political power. Spain remained neutral in World Wars I and II, but suffered through a devastating civil war (1936-39). In the second half of the 20th century, Spain has played a catch-up role in the western international community; it joined the EU in 1986. Continuing challenges include Basque Fatherland and Liberty (ETA) terrorism and further reductions in unemployment.
Photos from San Sebastián
Blogs from San Sebastián
Latest Blogs from San Sebastián
- May 17th 2013 Oh, Many Hours On The Road!
by Words: 839 Photos: 1
- May 14th 2013 We cross the border into chaos!
by Words: 771 Photos: 12
- February 3rd 2013 Road-trip to the northern Spain � Through France and San Sebastian
by Words: 448 Photos: 0
- December 26th 2012 A Gem By the Sea -- San Sebastián, Spain
by Words: 772 Photos: 9
- October 30th 2012 Keira the Explorer - Spain through her eyes...
by Words: 916 Photos: 39
- October 21st 2012 A soggy Saturday and Sunday in San Sebastian (Friday too!)
by Words: 873 Photos: 45
- August 30th 2012 Day 8
by Words: 148 Photos: 0
- August 29th 2012 Day 7
by Words: 246 Photos: 0
- July 2nd 2012 The Audible
by Words: 269 Photos: 0
- June 17th 2012 San Sebastian, Yes Esk-Eric-Asko!
by Words: 1041 Photos: 4
- May 28th 2012 Day Two
by Words: 431 Photos: 9
- May 18th 2012 San Sebastian
by Words: 745 Photos: 9
- May 12th 2012 Pinxtos in San Sebastián
by Words: 610 Photos: 38
- March 12th 2012 San Sebastian
by Words: 478 Photos: 0
- October 31st 2011 San Sebastian
by Words: 874 Photos: 14
- October 30th 2011 A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood...
by Words: 939 Photos: 4
- October 19th 2011 Oh The Humidity!!!!!
by Words: 1441 Photos: 8
- September 2nd 2011 What is it about the Beach?
by Words: 507 Photos: 13
- August 5th 2011 a desolate camp, a real castle, a great city
by Words: 655 Photos: 35
- July 29th 2011 The last supper in San Sebastian
by Words: 153 Photos: 14