Bergen


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
March 20th 2006
Published: March 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Train journey from Oslo to Bergen, one the top 20 train journeys in the world (we saw that on a plaque on the wall of the station - we didn't know this in advance!) was amazing. It's no Dublin-Ballina, but it had it's moments!

It isn't as cold, and there isn't as much snow in Bergen. We put this down to the effect of the North Atlantic Drift, thanks to our 6th Class Geography (Thomas was crediting someone called *The Scour*)

Wandered around Bergen on Patricks Day, taking in a few of the local museums and took the cable car up to mountain overlooking the town. Managed to get sunburnt while wandering around local hiking trails in the woods - even though we were wearing our hats and gloves due to the cold! Came across a lake completely frozen over, which we walked across. We were a little nervous, until we saw some mothers pushing their newborn babies across the lake in buggys, so we figured we were safe enough!

We also discovered a feature on the camera which allowed us to take photographs in two halves, hence you've been treated to Thomas kicking his own backside!

Took a tour on the fjords - the scenery was fantastic. We may have gone overboard in the pictures... Boring fact: all the electricity for Oslo is supplied by 4 hydroelectric power plants built inside the mountains surrounding the fjords (beat that for a fact, Brian Joyce!).

Got back in time to see the Ireland v England rugby match.. and even managed to get a pint for under a fiver! Absolutely fantastic to win it in a pub full of English lads!

Wandering through the streets of Bergen, came across an impromptu cheerleader performance, with a team of young girls flinging each other 20ft into the air.

Faced a marathon 14hour journey to Stockholm after a night with no sleep due to the hostel dorm being right next to the cafe/all-night-rave run by the hostel owner.

We liked Norway, beautiful country, nice people and cheaper beer than Denmark....all in all a result!




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Train from Oslo to Bergen IITrain from Oslo to Bergen II
Train from Oslo to Bergen II

Ski tracks in the snow
BryggenBryggen
Bryggen

UNESCO heritage site - Bryggen was an old Hanseatic port
Street NamesStreet Names
Street Names

You wouldn't want to be drunk asking for this street name from the taxi driver!
Frozen LakeFrozen Lake
Frozen Lake

Can anyone spot the irregularity in this picture - answers on a postcard!
Responsible mothers...Responsible mothers...
Responsible mothers...

..wheeling their babies across a frozen lake
The wonders of technologyThe wonders of technology
The wonders of technology

We discovered a way of kicking our OWN asses!
Not for the faint heartedNot for the faint hearted
Not for the faint hearted

You wouldn't want to suffer from vertigo travelling on the cable car to top of Bergen
FlamFlam
Flam

View from the pier in Flam - population 400


21st March 2006

I always knew it
How's your imaginary friend that casts no shadow scoob. That was a bit strange
21st March 2006

Irregularity
I've spotted it - Rachel has short hair :D My second guess would be Rachel has no shadow - Freakoid
22nd March 2006

Kicking your ass!
It's good to see we don't have to worry about having someone to kick your ass now Thomas, we'll just tell you to do it yourself and you can!! Where's Rachel's shadow?
27th March 2006

Good to hear the scour finally get the recognition he deserves
17th April 2006

Nice photos
I was impresses by your photos-better than most I have seen! I will be in Oslo-Bergen in Jul-Aug I hope Regards!

Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 24; qc: 136; dbt: 0.157s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb