Stockholm


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
March 22nd 2006
Published: March 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

CastleCastleCastle

The Nordic History Museum
Stayed in excellent hostel (City Backpackers) with free tea and coffee, free sauna, free internet and best of all.. free pasta! Excellent for saving the shekels on food, although Sweden didn't seem as expensive as Oslo or Copenhagen.

Got to see the King and Queen of Sweden by chance, as there was a state visit by the President of Botswana when we were visiting the Royal Palace. All the military and Palace Guard were out, and we even got a serenade from the navy band. Given the finery and regalia that the King and the army were wearing, the President must have felt a little underdressed in leather jacket and slacks!

One of the highlights of Stockholm (aside from wandering around the Old Town in Gamle Stan which was fantastic) was a visit to Skansen, a huge open-air museum, which included a minizoo with Scandinavian animals (Lynx, Elk, Otters, Sea Lions, Wolverine, Wolves - the bear was hibernating unfortunately!) and an aquarium (where Thomas was most fascinated by the Rat Display which had an infestation of rats running around a recreated kitchen).

The ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki was hilarious. It's pretty cheap to get a cabin there,
The Royal PalaceThe Royal PalaceThe Royal Palace

Navy forming guard of honour for President of Botswana.
as the locals mainly use the journey as a type of booze-cruise effort. After managing to scab a free metro trip to the ferry, we arrive on board to a cheesy reception with dodgy band, dodgy dancers and an even dodgier MC who kept roaring "Weeellcooome to the... Promeade of FAaaaaame!" and a very fake Marilyn and Elvis would dutifully prance along the stage. Brilliant!

Had a very enlightening experience when I took my first sauna on the boat. Arrived to the sauna/jacuzzi area with towel and bathing costume in hand, only to step into the ladies sauna to find that not only was the bathing costume optional, but probably not required at all!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Palace GuardPalace Guard
Palace Guard

The boys are back to put Humpty together again
State VisitState Visit
State Visit

The King of Sweden...and some guy in a leather jacket(otherwise known as the President of Botswana who was a tad underdressed for the occasion)
Golden Room in City HallGolden Room in City Hall
Golden Room in City Hall

Our hostel was a bit fancy in Stockholm...
KoalaKoala
Koala

He's got a can of Fosters in his left hand, you just can't see it!


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb