Background: Two centuries of Viking raids into Europe tapered off following the adoption of Christianity by King Olav TRYGGVASON in 994. Conversion of the Norwegian kingdom occurred over the next several decades. In 1397, Norway was absorbed into a union with Denmark that was to last for more than four centuries. In 1814, Norwegians resisted the cession of their country to Sweden and adopted a new constitution. Sweden then invaded Norway but agreed to let Norway keep its constitution in return for accepting the union under a Swedish king. Rising nationalism throughout the 19th century led to a 1905 referendum granting Norway independence. Although Norway remained neutral in World War I, it suffered heavy losses to its shipping. Norway proclaimed its neutrality at the outset of World War II, but was nonetheless occupied for five years by Nazi Germany (1940-45). In 1949, neutrality was abandoned and Norway became a member of NATO. Discovery of oil and gas in adjacent waters in the late 1960s boosted Norway's economic fortunes. The current focus is on containing spending on the extensive welfare system and planning for the time when petroleum reserves are depleted. In referenda held in 1972 and 1994, Norway rejected joining the EU.
Photos from Kristiansand
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Kristiansand
Latest Blogs from Kristiansand
- July 13th 2010 You're from Norwegia?
by Words: 422 Photos: 0
- August 31st 2009 Norway 2009-2010 Adventures! 2!
by Words: 176 Photos: 14
- July 8th 2009 Kristiansand Zoo
by Words: 7 Photos: 57
- January 16th 2009 Norway
by Words: 194 Photos: 0
- September 10th 2008 Day 11 - Bergen - Kristiansand
by Words: 811 Photos: 0
- June 10th 2008 Bye bye Sweden and on to Norway via the tip of Denmark
by Words: 1143 Photos: 15
- October 11th 2007 Vaksiner, pakking og test
by Words: 50 Photos: 0
- July 15th 2007 Åraksbø, Evje and the Count of Monte Cristo
by Words: 1354 Photos: 10
- July 11th 2007 Jeg er fra Kanada. Snakker du engelsk?
by Words: 1038 Photos: 7
- July 10th 2007 KLM First Class and Kristiansand, Norway
by Words: 828 Photos: 6
- May 5th 2007 South East Norway - Nes
by Words: 128 Photos: 9
- February 1st 2007 Fotosession
by Words: 86 Photos: 5
- June 14th 2006 It's A Bad Sign When There's A Builder's Skip Outside Your Hotel
by Words: 413 Photos: 0