Day in Oslo sightseeing ( NORWAY )


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
June 24th 2010
Published: June 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day in Oslo sightseeing NORWAY

Spent the day in Oslo. Went in on the scooter, carefully avoiding both the motorway and the cycle track routes.
Having only a small map it was better luck than judgement that we found ourselves in the centre, near the cathedral so we parked by a cycle parking stand and walked round from there.
We visited the simple but beautifully decorated cathedral, admired the round parliament building and the many fountains and statues strategically placed round the city. Took a walk up the hill to see the Royal Palace and the changing of the guard then back down to the harbour which we enjoyed immensely.
A complete redevelopment of the old docks area this is now a very modern architectural marvel with some lovely use of water features, flowing shapes and miscellaneous statues all different and sometimes rather random but beautifully blended together. It was only started in 2005 and has another 4 years to go to completion but what has been done so far is absolutely excellent.
We stopped for a quick lunch then scootered on to the Viking Ship museum which is near to our marina campsite. Had to go 200 yards down
Viking shipViking shipViking ship

One of three fantastic viking ships on display in the museum
a cycle track to get there as could find no other road except the motorway (which I refused to use).
The Viking ships, 3 of them, were marvellous. Found in burial mounds in the early 1900s they are now restored and superbly displayed in a custom built building. Fantastic to see them there, these ships which are more than 1000 years old.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

TrollTroll
Troll

Had to take its photo
White Peacock ?White Peacock ?
White Peacock ?

- no - a fountain in Oslo
Oslo harbourOslo harbour
Oslo harbour

Lovely place, really enjoyed our walk round this newly developed very modern area


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb