Background: Two centuries of Viking raids into Europe tapered off following the adoption of Christianity by King Olav TRYGGVASON in 994. Conversion of the Norwegian kingdom occurred over the next several decades. In 1397, Norway was absorbed into a union with Denmark that was to last for more than four centuries. In 1814, Norwegians resisted the cession of their country to Sweden and adopted a new constitution. Sweden then invaded Norway but agreed to let Norway keep its constitution in return for accepting the union under a Swedish king. Rising nationalism throughout the 19th century led to a 1905 referendum granting Norway independence. Although Norway remained neutral in World War I, it suffered heavy losses to its shipping. Norway proclaimed its neutrality at the outset of World War II, but was nonetheless occupied for five years by Nazi Germany (1940-45). In 1949, neutrality was abandoned and Norway became a member of NATO. Discovery of oil and gas in adjacent waters in the late 1960s boosted Norway's economic fortunes. The current focus is on containing spending on the extensive welfare system and planning for the time when petroleum reserves are depleted. In referenda held in 1972 and 1994, Norway rejected joining the EU.
Photos from Oslo
Blogs from Oslo
Latest Blogs from Oslo
- April 7th 2013 Oslo
by Words: 1112 Photos: 20
- March 31st 2013 The Scream
by Words: 899 Photos: 3
- March 30th 2013 Little hot head
by Words: 1314 Photos: 4
- March 29th 2013 You're in Oslo? Nor-way!
by Words: 820 Photos: 4
- November 28th 2012 Oslo
by Words: 909 Photos: 11
- November 21st 2012 Oslo - massive clocks on buildings & lots of shops
by Words: 251 Photos: 78
- November 6th 2012 Reunited and it feeels so goood!
by Words: 618 Photos: 7
- November 2nd 2012 Goodbyes, goodbyes, goodbyes....
by Words: 579 Photos: 8
- October 14th 2012 Quitting work and celebrating Thanksgiving in October!
by Words: 328 Photos: 4
- October 5th 2012 Preparations...
by Words: 433 Photos: 1
- October 2nd 2012 Scandinavia in the Fall: Oslo in the Morning
by Words: 571 Photos: 3
- September 3rd 2012 Smokin Oslo: How to (Kinda) Do Oslo in 1 Day
by Words: 1275 Photos: 8
- August 26th 2012 The Path that Leads to Norway
by Words: 1001 Photos: 1
- August 21st 2012 Walking Oslo
by Words: 242 Photos: 3
- August 2nd 2012 Hmmm...weather
by Words: 118 Photos: 0
- August 2nd 2012 fjord cruise
by Words: 98 Photos: 0
- August 1st 2012 Day tour around Oslo
by Words: 442 Photos: 5
- August 1st 2012 Holmenkollen
by Words: 184 Photos: 3
- July 31st 2012 36 hours - you've got to be kidding
by Words: 196 Photos: 0
- July 31st 2012 Oslo - what a pleasant surprise!
by Words: 244 Photos: 6