on the road


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
June 12th 2008
Published: June 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well the last few weeks have been somewhat of a ordeal. We seem to be moving around so much that's hard to find time to sit down and write. Today I'm hung up in the hostel in Oslo with a bit of a stomach cramp, so instead of being out seeing the sights I'm going to just chill a while. Nothing to worry about, I know the cause and it's directly related to the cost of food here in Norway. In other words last night for dinner I didn't want to pay 30 dollars or so for dinner so I packed in about a pound of potatoe salad, bad idea, but it only cost me 4 dollars. I won't make that mistake again.
Since Munich, we went to the sothern part of Germany, a place called Garmisch. It was very similar to Telluride, a town surrounded by the Bavarean Alps. With the tallest being a peak called Zugspitz. Unfortunately we didn't have the funds to go to the summit, they have a tram and then gondola that can take tourists to the top, it kinda defeats the purpose being on top of the highest mountain in Germany with out working for it, standing next to Grandma and Grandpa. THis place was however a mountain bike mecca, we hiked a gorge that glacial water has created about 80 meters deep and cut through this canyon, then about another 5 miles on up to some very beautiful views. Another hint- hiking and preserved meat and bread is not as good as a few apples and trail mix.
From there we traveled to Prague, this is very much a bustling developing city. And a great place party all night long. After a few hang ups of currancy conversion, Euro, dollar chech kroner. we had a great time, I almost forgot our train from Munich to Prague was very interesting scarry weird all of the above. There was a train delay in Germany which is just unheard of to begin with right. So several passangers are all tring to figure out how to get to prague the quickest way. Micah and I end up tring to communicate with a guy form prague who is out of euro and hoping to get home. We buy him a few beers while waiting for our next train, and offer him some baccardi we have in our bag, he in turn offers some chech beer. For a few hours of traveling everything is fine but the commnication difficulties. After a while, however, our new friend, quite intoxicated starts to rummage through his rucksack and pull out close to 10 knives. He was tring to show us that he was a butcher, but there was that moment of apprenhension where Micah and I both grabed something to start to swing, you know. That or lace our shoes tight. He ended up giving Micah one of his knives and his food in his pack. In my opinion he needed the food to soak up some alcohol more than we did. After some ackward moments and uncomfortable train rides and a few switch overs we were able to seperate ourselves from the Butcher.
I'm running out of time here and want to tell about Berlin, but I'll have to wait for the next chance, I have a great video and want to make sure it uploads properly, So until the next episode of the adventures of Mavrick and Micah, stay tuned kids and keep your nose to the gring stone.

Love Travis

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb