Hamar - Home of the Glass Cathedral (and other things, I am sure)


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Hamar
July 1st 2012
Published: July 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Left Bogbakken relatively early, not quite knowing whether the Pilgrim Centre estimate of the distance was correct, or my hosts more pessimistic view that it was a 30km walk. Within a 100m or so, he was.

Today was a three church day. The first after a couple of kilometres at Tangen, the second at Stange, and the third a mere glimpse in the distance of the Glass Cathedral, a ruin that has been covered to preserve it. Only from a distance, it looks like any other large glasshouse. I only hope it lives up to its expectations tomorrow.

After a short road stretch, it was into the sort of country that in Australia one might characterise as red-neck. Places still in the process of construction with an unregistered Alfa, two unregistered Mitsubishi, and a skull over the front door. (Okay, that last bit was an exaggeration). As climbs go, it was tedious - some more pleasant forest track but mainly unsealed grey road.

If there is any pattern emerging in the way it rains, then it is that it drizzles quietly for a while, then sputters enough to get the rain jacket out, when it quickly returns to drizzle. Today's sputtering went on long enough to stay in my rain jacket and put on rain trousers, and it was windy enough to take them off even though I was getting wetter on the inside sweating than the rain was adding to the outside.

It stayed like that until Stange kirke, and 18km into the day, but within an hour it was brilliant sunshine, and shirt sleeves or light windproof all the rest of the way into Hamar.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb