Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
September 4th 2009
Published: September 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Veitches have arrived in Amsterdam!!!!

After long anticipation we have finally landed in Amsterdam. It was my longest flight ever - we arrived at 5 pm Australian time and 7 am Netherland time, so the jetlag was HORRIBLE!!! We arrived on the Thursday the 3rd.

The main problem with Amsterdam is that it is a bit hard to commuicate as they don't speak that much English (though I can't really complain I know basically no dutch). I think this is mainly because we are not in a touristy area and the shopkeepers are not using to speaking English.

We are in a great location. At the end of the our street is the bakery and a butcher. We also have a pub literally 5 metres away from our front door. As well as that we are close to a park, a florist, cafes and a Saturday Market.

Today was Mums first day of work in Amsterdam. We decided that we were going to go with her to her work. So we caught the tram but it didn't go as planned. At the change over for the second tram mum got on the tram but we missed it. To make it worse dad's phone didn't work!!! In the end we couldn't catch up with mum so we went to a park somone suggested.

It was a long way to the park, but it was great. When we eventually got there we decided to have a kick of the footy. Dad kicked it, we fumbled it and harry picks it up and kicks it..... straight into a canal. Luckily though dad could get it out.

The Streets of Amsterdam are very different. There are bikes EVERYWERE. Instead of watching for cars we have to watch for bikes. Also the houses are very different. Instead of them being low and wide they're 4 stories high and very skinny with no outside area. The house we are living in is over 250 years old! There is no outside space and the front door is right on the road.

By Tom


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

AWSOME CARAWSOME CAR
AWSOME CAR

i wish i had this


10th September 2009

WOW!!
Hi Veitches! WOW!! You are sooo lucky! I wish I was there! Did you let the amazed man have a go of the footy? How's your jetlag going? I love that blue car. It's so cool!I didn't know you were working there Jenny!! You must be having a loadful of fun! Amsterdam is a beautiful place! I hope you have fun! Tom, are you missing out on graduation? Well, I hope you explore lots and make sure you keep taking photos and putting them on the blog because I think they're INTERESTING!!! Well I will see you when you get back! Doei! Annabelle :-)

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb