meg's italiano version


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
November 11th 2008
Published: November 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

bonjourno amicos!
our breakfast was included with the hostel. we were told it was an "authentic italian cafe". they didn't speak much of our mother canadian tongue, so after we waved our ticket the gave us a pastry and kept saying "cappucino" to us. i didn't really care for one, and chris didn't want one. but old italian lady, middle-aged cafe italian lady and old italian man at the cash kept saying "cappucino, cappucino" to us. so then cappucino it was.
now, to add to the vatican line-up story- we were in a line of hundreds and hundreds of people waiting outside in the hot sun, so excited to be at the vatican, and once we pass scary security with rifles (chris will know what the guns actually were, they looked like toys to me) we were like 'we're in!' and only seconds later "we're out!" when me and the other lady canadians were begging the security man to let us in bc we are stupid tourists he responds in italian- so i pull out my trusty italian phrase book and say to him "Io non parlo italiano!" (I do not speak italian!)...and so back in line we were. there was a moment i felt some frustration tears coming, but the other canucks helped me through it. once inside, very cool. pope john paul's tomb was weird, lots of people praying. the rest of the tombs made me bones shiver a little, but no ghostly encounters thank goodness. chris told me they were popes and so are at peace! the walk up to the top top top was absolutely exhausting and nuts. the stairs kept getting steeper, more spiraly, and more on an angle! these italians are small! bc my hips were snug in some places, and chris couldnĂ t even fit two of his feet on some of the stairs! the walls were on a slant for a good chunk, and the last spiral staircase was such a small spiral and so steep that there was a rope down the middle to hold onto. ohhh and the little priests marching their way up there! that's one of the most bizarre things here, nuns, priests and monks walking around everywhere! everywhere you turn there's a bee line to god herself!

so no pick pockets yet. we are being very careful-money belts under our clothes, locks on our bags, and big christopher to scare'em off! and i had a glass of wine, REAL wine dad, at dinner, while you know eating at a ristorante in front of the pantheon by candlelight and violin. oh how grown up i am getting.

so we be off to the colliseum tomorrow, i think that place is going to overwhelming to my soul-lots of violent, sad deaths there. ohh i will make chris bless the whole place with me!
rome is soo different from anything in canada. i could write a 3 page email on the driving and roads alone! my mother would be mortified to see us in action here. no vespa renting for us, that's for sure!

My italian words of wisdom, that are not so wise, but actually the words i have used here, learned from my hostel mates, or plan on using very soon:
Buona notte! Quanto costa? Ho fame. Mi dispiace. Sono vegitatiano. Prego! Grazie! Io non parlo italiano.

amore amore amore,
margareeta

prego!!

Advertisement



12th November 2008

Chris can write
I can hardly believe that this son of mine does have writing skills...this is amazing for me to see. Love reading your different takes on things, Meg and Chris.

Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb