Road Trip - Pt II


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Brindisi
October 31st 2006
Published: October 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Cool Fall colorsCool Fall colorsCool Fall colors

The hills were a combination of pine and hardwoods.
This is the followup installment on our road trip to Calabria. After leaving Civita, we proceeded on down to Consenza. We were following a google map of the area and we couldn't tell which exit to get off on; we got off too early and drove for what seemed an eternity. I thought that driving in Brindisi was bad - I was wrong, it was worse in Consenza. Driving through the downtown area was unnerving. Cars were double and triple parked (parallel) on both sides that reduced a two lane to a one lane in places. No one seemed to pay much heed to the lines, signs, signals, or other driving conventions. It was like a free for all. We spent a couple of hours trying to match the map with the actual roads and finally made it to the B&B that we booked. It was in a little village 2 kms outside of Consenza but the village can only be reached by driving through the downtown area. We finally found the B&B after a process of elimination of which road to us to the village.
The landlord was a very nice guy that was an ex-ballet dancer that had performed
The ski hillThe ski hillThe ski hill

The area was heavily wooded and we couldn't see the summit...but it was sure pretty.
all over the world. He gave us useful info on the local area and called a local ristorante to reserve a table for us. The lunch was filling and the owners were very nice. We then departed for the mountains.
We have discovered that there is skiing way down here in southern Italy! The mountains are quite beautiful and it was gratifying to see hardwood trees that are changing colors. We drove to the mountain village of Camigliatello and went to check out the small ski area. It looks like it has potential to at least do a little sliding around. The only baffling thing was that there were no maps of the ski area posted anywhere. We stopped at a tourist office in the little town and they too had no maps. We were like - What the ???? We drove back that same evening and had to endure rush hour - that was the most frightening driving experience I have ever lived through.
The next morning we took a leisurely drive through a country road out to the coast. It was the most sane and relaxing driving I have experienced here. It was beautiful. The countryside is reminscent
Nice country roadNice country roadNice country road

It was a classic backcountry road...the road less travelled :-)
of the New England area in the fall. We drove through picturesque villages and pretty wooded areas. We really liked this area.
We then arrived at the coast and stopped for lunch in the town of Amantea. The owner of the place was very gracious and friendly. We encountered two american tourists there. We joined them and had a nice visit with them. One of the ladies was there looking up relatives as she had family that came from that part of Italy. The owner volunteered to help them out and proceeded to treat us to some vin santo and biscotti. I had a nice buzz by the time we left the ristorante!
We drove the highway on the coast to Tropea. We are not much for seaside places so we weren't all that impressed. After looking around we drove back to Consenza via the autostrada. The next morning we left and as soon as we could we got off the autostrada and took the backroads. That was definitely more enjoyable and scenic. Like american freeways, there isn't much too see from the freeway system. Plus the road is bounded on both sides by high guardrails and it feels claustrophobic.
Picturesque villagesPicturesque villagesPicturesque villages

Sleepy Hollow and all that...

Our overall impression of Calabria is that it is quite beautiful and we are looking forward to doing some skiing at Camigliatello.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Very scenicVery scenic
Very scenic

We thought that the house perched on a crag was cool...
New England-esqueNew England-esque
New England-esque

This area was not heavily populated...the air was clean and fresh.
TropeaTropea
Tropea

This big rock had an interesting church that we would have liked to visit..it was closed.
Tall guardrailsTall guardrails
Tall guardrails

This makes driving the autostrada seem tunnel-like. Not enjoyable.
Country roadsCountry roads
Country roads

This is much more enjoyable.


31st October 2006

Doesn't look like halloween
Thanks, I needed beautiful today!! Blessings w/Joy, even on Halloween - tomorrow the Saints, eh!? MOM/MA
1st November 2006

Road Trip - Pt II
The next time we go, we will head down the other side of the toe. At Civita, one of the guests raved about skiing the slopes in the Aspermonte region and seeing the Straits of Messina and both sides of the Mediterranean at once. He was quite adamant that it was a spectacular sight. We do want to travel through the hills and take in the the Calabrian countryside.
1st November 2006

Road Trip - Pt II
As for Halloween, the Italians supposedly don't celebrate this day...we saw Halloween decorations all over the place. And, last night we saw kids wandering around with the full costume get-ups and Trick or Treating. We even had two kids ring our gate. I went out and told them we were told that the Italians didn't observe this day and we didn't have any candy. One of the kids said "Well the kids do." So I said "Sorry." Like Charlie Brown they walked away with a rock :-)
3rd November 2006

want to go Italy so bad!!!!!!
God I love the colors of trees and the change of seasons,please make sure you stay there until your term is up. I want to go even if that means, one week with no pay. I want to taste the food, maybe a little vino, it is so beautiful.
3rd November 2006

Road Trip _ Pt II
Well Sis, come for Christmas! I am busy checking out places to go see for the Christmas Season. I'm thinking Midnight Mass in Rome for sure...going to mass with the "Big Guy" should rack up some points...don't you think?? :-) We have three weeks off and plan to spend all of that time travelling, eating, drinking, and sightseeing....is there anything else???

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb